Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My Mother's Treadle needs someone to love it >

My Mother's Treadle needs someone to love it

My Mother's Treadle needs someone to love it

Old 02-15-2014, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
That's my intent. If things go my way I'll start a new thread to show how I go about repairing the wood on the case. Bad veneer is one of the biggest and most common issues I see on old treadle cabinets. I think it puts a lot of potential buyers off when it doesn't have to and I think a lot of machines end up trashed because of it. My way certainly isn't the only way of doing things, possibly not the best either, it's just what works for me. The biggest issue to me is the missing front. I can make a new front but I don't have the skills to carve new moldings to match the originals. I can either buy new moldings to apply that are close in style or search out a used front to replace it. That's a bit down the road. I'll make the other repairs before I tackle that one. Tomorrow I'll be spending some quality time in my shop making some space so I can fit the cabinet in there and get started. I'll also have to get my table saw running again. The motor is currently out for new bearings.
Rodney
Rodney, I have seen the front panels on auction sites before, maybe you'll get lucky that way. Look forward to seeing her progress!
Old 02-15-2014, 11:35 AM

Very interested in how you repair veneer. I refinish furniture from time to time (not sewing machines but chests, dressers, tables, chairs, etc.) and have never solved the veneer problem. There's a professional refinisher here in town and he rather snootily told me, (when I asked him if he had a veneer source) that he usually does not work on veneered furniture.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:06 PM

I just sent a PM and hope hope hope you will let me adopt it. It will have a nice home, with fur kids, and will be used lots, after a complete cleaning, and a restoration of the cabinet this summer. Cautiously planning the happy feet dance in case you say yes....
Old 02-15-2014, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I just sent a PM and hope hope hope you will let me adopt it. It will have a nice home, with fur kids, and will be used lots, after a complete cleaning, and a restoration of the cabinet this summer. Cautiously planning the happy feet dance in case you say yes....
P. S. I do know how to work on wood veneer. It is a replacement job, not a refinish job.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:09 PM

I just saw it got a good home. oh well. Maybe next time...
Old 02-15-2014, 12:52 PM

I just saw it got a good home. oh well. Maybe next time...
yes. you missed it but it went to a good home. Rodney got it. there's this one in my area also listed in CL that i missed but more opportunities will come your way and more machines. cheers.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:50 PM

How generous of you, Vmaniqui, and how wonderful that Rodney now has Ella, your mother's machine. I'm betting he will take great care of her! She looks like she will clean up well.

Rodney, have you tried physical therapy for your foot/leg? If not, it might really help.

I'm looking forward to pictures of the restoration and finished machine and treadle desk. Rodney, it sounds like we can learn from you.

Cricket
Old 02-15-2014, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
Very interested in how you repair veneer. I refinish furniture from time to time (not sewing machines but chests, dressers, tables, chairs, etc.) and have never solved the veneer problem. There's a professional refinisher here in town and he rather snootily told me, (when I asked him if he had a veneer source) that he usually does not work on veneered furniture.
My thought is your professional refinisher doesn't do a lot of business unless he's working on REALLY old stuff. There's a lot more veneered furniture out there than not. Veneer has it's weaknesses but it also solves a lot of problems associated with wood movement and fancy grained wood has always carried a premium price. Veneer allows the look for a lot less money.
Madamekelly: You're right, missing veneer is a replacement job. I want to keep as much of the original veneer as intact as possible so I won't be stripping all of it off, just what is necessary to repair the surface. The bad sections will be trimmed back and new veneer spliced in as carefully as I can to make the repair blend in. Even then there's a good chance the repair will show. Matching new to old is tricky at best.
I was playing on the internet last night looking for good sources for veneer and haven't quite found what I'm after yet.
I'll share my sources as I find them. A good friend told me one somewhat local source but I don't remember the name of the company. My friend also moved out of state and I'm not sure if he's settled down anywhere with internet so I can contact him yet either.
Macybaby: THANK YOU! Just that front panel will make things much easier. I still haven't unloaded the main cabinet so haven't measured the opening or checked what type of drawer it takes but having the old panel with the molding will make things much easier to blend in even if it isn't exactly like original. It's raining buckets and I haven't been out to my shop to clear a space for it yet, hopefully tomorrow. Sending a PM.
Thanks,
Rodney
Old 02-15-2014, 09:56 PM

I learned to sew on a machine like that. Brings back good memories. My mom let me sew cotton fabric strips onto a square of pages from a Montgomery Ward catalog. My introduction to the quilting life! I must have been about 10 or 11 yrs old.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
The most expensive piece of furniture ever sold at Auction ( Christies I believe) had ebony veneers. Some of the worlds finest pieces of furniture have veneers.

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/f...jectID=4420049