Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is It Just Me, Or..... >

Is It Just Me, Or.....

Is It Just Me, Or.....

Old 02-25-2014, 08:55 PM

It seems for me that I can't get 2 projects going at once as there is always a baby quilt that needs to be made quickly. Case in point (I am a self taught beginner) I cut out an lap throw kit for my DH 8 months ago and with everyone around me having babies I have just now gotten back to his & already have 2 dog quilt to make for London (you might have heard of him, a pit bull puppy at the time was abused so much his front legs were broken beyond repair so the amputated) so those are next on my list. After those I hope to get back on track of making each of my 6 kids quilts & 9 (so far) grandkids quilts.. I do have to say my very 1st start to ending quilt was a Bubble or Puff quilt..NEVER AGAIN! I jumped feet 1st into quilting with that one UGH
Old 02-25-2014, 09:13 PM

Not sure its lazy Donna, i see and am intimidated! Not sure I can do a lot of small pieces though. thats why I appreciate short cuts! Id love to make a Bargello? They are beautiful.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:17 PM

Wow! Dont think I could work on same quilt for a year either!! One of m first was pp took me 8 mths! Few months would be my limit!!!
Old 02-25-2014, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
HI Donna, I agree with you. I have done a lot of Bargello quilts and really they are NOT AT ALL that difficult. You just sew the strips and then cut them into units. Looked at the bright colored Celtic Solstice quilt that was posted a few days ago and if you cut it into sub units, it really isn't that scary.
The pattern for the Celtic Solstice Quilt is free on Bonnie Hunter's Site. There is tab for the quilt, but she will be taking all the instructions down in June to be put in her next book. You can download all the steps right now!

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/
Old 02-26-2014, 02:34 AM
Power Poster

I am at the stage of looking at a pic, pinterest has a lot, and trying to break it down into blocks. Some look so difficult but if studied they can usually be figured out. I like doing this at night when I am to tired to sew. Relaxing and amazing.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
Going way back to when I started quilting, twenty years ago, I never gave a thought to whether a patten was to difficult to do for my skill level. I just read the instructions and followed them, just like a recipe. I never knew patterns had different skill levels so I never had a problem limiting myself or being intimidated by anything I wanted to do. I just did it.
peace
I'm with you, too. As a newer quilter, I just find a pattern I want to do and just do it. I always figure if you can read...
now if there is a technique I don't know, I just look up how to do it.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:10 AM

Let thee past things said be the past and forge ahead. Ya gotta wanta.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:36 AM

I do that sometimes but if I really love the pattern, I'll make a place mat, table runner, bed runner or even a baby quilt. that way I get to play with a new pattern and not feel bogged down in lacking the patience to do a full size quilt.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak View Post
Howdy y'all :c)

I have looked at a lot of the pics on here and in the quilting magazines, and for many of them I have thought, "WOW! That's way beyond my skill level!" But here lately, whenever I look at one of those advanced pics, I can see exactly how it was done and think I could probably do it. Then I think, "WOW! That's WAAAYYYYY beyond my patience level!" So does anyone else do this, or am I just the laziest quilter around? LOL!

Donna
Donna, that's exactly how I think! You go, girl. You're not lazy and neither am I, by all means. I love to look and for the most part I figure how to do some of it if I'm that interested. Looking at a picture of a certain quilt I'll think "Oh yeah, I recognize you do this or that...circles? no way...on to the next photo." Then I slip right back into my comfort zone and sew what I love to sew. I'm not a person up for a challenge when it comes to making a quilt. My sister is the complete opposite: up for any kind of a challenge, in all aspects of her life. It's all about what makes you happy while quilting, Donna. Enjoy it. Blessings, Angela
Old 02-26-2014, 06:20 AM

I look a pattern over as well as I can and try to understand it. Then I dive in. I have found what looks difficult or beyond me, is not. Sometimes there are a few mistakes, oops not sometimes most times. And anyone sitting around me knows what I am thinking. lol You never learn unless you try it and do go at it slow.
Originally Posted by racerh View Post
Well Donna, I am the exact opposite! I look at something and if I love it I commence on my mission to do it. Many times I am sure it is above my level of expertise and I can often be heard swearing aloud and under my breath when I can't get it perfect. Do what makes you happy and what you are comfortable with. I think I am the crazy one of the two of us!

Stephanie