Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Journeys with Dear Jane: Baby Janes in the making and complete >

Journeys with Dear Jane: Baby Janes in the making and complete

Journeys with Dear Jane: Baby Janes in the making and complete

Old 03-18-2014, 09:48 AM

All those beautiful blocks makes it look so tempting
Old 03-19-2014, 06:44 PM

I am learning here; did not know the triangles around as border took a special template...but that is a long way off from now. Did get the book spiral bound so it lays flat on the table.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Carsey View Post
Are the blocks 4.5 x 4.5 ?? What size are the triangles? I can't find my big book and rulers.... (Yet)
The blocks are 4.5 x 4.5 finished. The block size is 5 x 5. If you find the book, the blocks are all 4.5 in the book but you need to have a .25 edge. I hope you find them. I don't know how I could complete by blocks without my 5" ruler. It is a life safer. The diagonal lines in the corner are so helpful to make sure the block is made correctly. I have the book and the software and I use the blog "That Quilt" on a daily basis. Her helpful instructions are wonderful. So saying all this, I use the software for the templates and foundation piece patterns but as far as instructions, I like the instructions on the That Quilt website much better. I use the book for fabric selection. I try to duplicate Brenda's selection. I started out with Quilting on the Square but I found several errors on their patterns so I contacted them and they were kind enough to give me a refund. I worked hard on the blocks and I had to redo the blocks due to their patterns errors so I decided I would go it alone but I was thrilled when I see my Quilting Board friends were starting theirs. I have 32 blocks done and I will post pictures later.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

bummer! i'm just getting back into this and did not even get out my rulers yet. but i managed to sew 3 d-3's, one for each quilt. when i got out my rulers, i found that i cut mine at 4.5"... but that is the finished size!!! i don't really want to resew any of these, so i'll do what jane did on hers... i will add strips to the outside and then square up. sigh...
Old 03-20-2014, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
bummer! i'm just getting back into this and did not even get out my rulers yet. but i managed to sew 3 d-3's, one for each quilt. when i got out my rulers, i found that i cut mine at 4.5"... but that is the finished size!!! i don't really want to resew any of these, so i'll do what jane did on hers... i will add strips to the outside and then square up. sigh...
I think that is the perfect solution and in the Jane spirit. That's what I would do, too.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:07 PM

Someone mentioned sashing - yes the original had 1/2" finished sashing. I will more than likely add a litte more here by doubing up anywho - I will double them to give blocks more space in between that does mean I need to do the same to my trianges - which triangles ....finish roughly 5x8 at the very points.
Gus

more later....

Last edited by patricej; 03-21-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:42 PM

Had a good day today and made it upstairs to the quilting room to get pics of the blocks I have done for my Dear Jane. Have a picture of my most recent block. And while I had he camera in my ands could not pass up taking a pic of my Christmas present from my DH...the custom sewing table which even has shelves on the back for magazines.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dear Jane partial.JPG
Views:	726
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	468266   Click image for larger version

Name:	DJ triangles.JPG
Views:	698
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	468267   Click image for larger version

Name:	most recent DJ.JPG
Views:	704
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	468268   Click image for larger version

Name:	sewing desk.JPG
Views:	716
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	468269  
Old 03-20-2014, 08:01 PM

I love your sewing area. Wow, the joy you must have when you sit down and sew. Keep up the good work on the blocks. Love the little squirrel. I will try to post my accomplishments by the weekend. Nothing special, but I am stitching away on it.

Originally Posted by TymeToShine View Post
Had a good day today and made it upstairs to the quilting room to get pics of the blocks I have done for my Dear Jane. Have a picture of my most recent block. And while I had he camera in my ands could not pass up taking a pic of my Christmas present from my DH...the custom sewing table which even has shelves on the back for magazines.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by spartan quilter View Post
I love your sewing area. Wow, the joy you must have when you sit down and sew. Keep up the good work on the blocks. Love the little squirrel. I will try to post my accomplishments by the weekend. Nothing special, but I am stitching away on it.

Now, Spartan, if you think that is a squirrel, you better be careful not to get too close to it...hee hee (it's a skunk) hee hee.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:10 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]468352[/ATTACH]Spotted this at the Mountain Quilt Fest in Pigeon Forge (Near Gatlinburg), TN.
Thought all might enjoy seeing this![ATTACH=CONFIG]468351[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-2.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	468351   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	468352