Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for anyone that owns the Dear Jane Book and the Dear Jane Program >

Question for anyone that owns the Dear Jane Book and the Dear Jane Program

Question for anyone that owns the Dear Jane Book and the Dear Jane Program

Old 04-24-2014, 12:32 PM

Default Question for anyone that owns the Dear Jane Book and the Dear Jane Program

I own the program but my book for the program is in storage. My question is for the people that actually own both. I am debating between purchasing the book or replacing the program book. I am a visual person so go more by the picture of something when planning out my quilts. I have never seen the book up close and personal. Are the blocks black & White line drawings or are they colored pictures? Also how are they pictured in the book? Is it a grid with many blocks per page or are they individual blocks on each page? What would be your choice if you were faced with the same situation?

Thanks in advance for the feed back
Old 04-24-2014, 12:37 PM

If you are talking about the book that comes with the software and is ABOUT the software ... most of the stuff in the book (screen images, pictures of blocks) is in black and white. There is a color fold out section in the middle that has full color pictures of DJ quilts ... but not the individual blocks.

If you are talking about the book that Barbara publishes which is about making the quilt ... I don't have that book. Sorry.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:47 PM

I am talking about both. I have an idea what came with the program but have not seen the other book and need more information before I make a purchase.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:57 PM

Personally I haven't been using my book. I go into the DJ computer program block chart and click on the block I want. Make note on how they do it. THEN I go to the internet and type in "dear jane b7" (or whatever block I need). There are a number of blogs that have easier or different ways to make a block. Then I make my block.

This way has been working for me so far, but I've only done about 10 or 12 blocks so far.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

imho, thatquilt.com is an excellent resource on how to construct the various blocks.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:07 PM

I have both the DJ book and the DJ program/book - the DJ book shows a colour picture of the block with a black and white line drawing of the block beside it. I think they are close to "life" size, i.e. approx 4.5 or 5 inches in size but I am not exactly sure of that. There are usually two blocks or triangles per page, or one triangle (I think). I know some people draft from the diagram/picture only.
I use the program, look at what technique is suggested etc and take it from there, either printing the foundation pieces or templates, or cutting diagram etc. While I am stitching them, I often refer to the DJ book as well.
Hope this helps!
GEMRM
Old 04-25-2014, 12:37 AM

GEMRM Thank you this is the info I was looking for. The way I work is by flipping through pictures to see what inspires me or possibly what pattern might be right for a specific fabric. I find the full quilt view TMI at one time so want to have something in hand for reference. The difference in price for "The Book" v/s replacement of program manual is a big factor. I would rather spend the savings on more fabric. ( a replacement program would be less than the asking price for a used manual)
Old 04-25-2014, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I checked the book out of the local library and decided not to purchase it. I did purchase the software, but I haven't started on my DJ quilt yet. The book isn't really so much about making the quilt as it is filled with the author's musings to the quilt's maker about what her life was like in the 19th century. I found this to be a bit silly and off-putting, but another friend loved it. If you look at the lower-rated reviews on Amazon you will find the complaints that others have about the book. Several complain that the line drawings of the blocks often don't match the blocks themselves, and that the book doesn't contain useful directions for making the blocks.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I checked the book out of the local library and decided not to purchase it. I did purchase the software, but I haven't started on my DJ quilt yet. The book isn't really so much about making the quilt as it is filled with the author's musings to the quilt's maker about what her life was like in the 19th century. I found this to be a bit silly and off-putting, but another friend loved it. If you look at the lower-rated reviews on Amazon you will find the complaints that others have about the book. Several complain that the line drawings of the blocks often don't match the blocks themselves, and that the book doesn't contain useful directions for making the blocks.

I agree with the above...the musing of the author get rather boring....not much real info is known about Jane...I bought the comp program, much more accurate....it is amazing to me how popular this book/quilt has become....and really I have seen many more attractive ones......I did about a dozen of the blocks and decided not to frustrate myself anymore....
Old 05-13-2014, 07:53 AM

UPDATE:I broke down and purchased the book. First thing I noticed is that what is called A1 is actually what I would call A13. If you notice the way the quilt is displayed the basket block is sideways. (J 12) I am not sorry I purchased the book because I can see pieces of the real quilt and have a better idea of the fabric and colors used. While the author thinks this is the work of one person I question if it was not the work of many during a quilting bee. The letters are a big turn off to me also.

I have always wanted to make a sampler quilt which is one of the things that drew me to the program in the first place. After seeing this book I can now say that I will not be joining the ranks as a "Baby Jane" but will be making my own sampler.