Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Taking a sewing machine on a plane >

Taking a sewing machine on a plane

Taking a sewing machine on a plane

Old 04-17-2014, 07:34 AM

I think there are weight restrictions to carry ons, too. There are services that will ship your luggage - not cheap but might be worth it if you are set on having your own machine. Or just look into the cost of FedEx or UPS shipping.

I have a Brother CS6000i that I ordered through Walmart. It is perfect for piecing and it comes with all the feet you need (except a 1/4" foot) for quilting. The harp space is small but you CAN quilt on it. I ordered and picked it up at the local Walmart. It is under $200.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:35 AM

My daughter brought her featherweight a few times and then asked me to have a machine ready for her. She didn't want her machine damaged. I think having a machine there would be the best option even if you had to ship one as someone else suggested. The overheads on planes are small and there isn't much room at your feet.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:49 AM

I took a small Brother on a plane trip one time, but I sure wouldn't take my big one! You've got some good ideas from others on here.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts View Post
I know this was a topic on this board awhile back, but I can not find it, so I will post another one. I have volunteered to house sit for my sister this summer. I am looking forward to the "alone" time and want to take my sewing machine on the plane. It is a very expensive machine. My plan is to take it as a carry on. I do have super sized bubble wrap. I need to check sizes for carry on. Has anyone done this? I would appreciate any input.
I tried to take a small Singer 401 as a carry-on several years ago, and they would not allow it. That meant I had to let it go under like the overweight carry-on bags. What happened? My machine was trashed--completely ruined the case and even the tension mechanism on the machine itself. I packed it as safely as I could to avoid further damage and took it back in a suitcase the next time. I had it repaired--maybe $85. Then I packed it again as carefully as possible in a regular suitcase. Again the tension mechanism was destroyed. I brought a new Elna embroidery machine the next time and it was trashed too. Maybe others can tell you a success story or two, but mine have all been disasters.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by scrapinmema View Post
Would never check a machine as they throw bag around. Would wait until arrival at your sisters and purchase a small machine and then ship it home when you leave.
Several years ago I took a flight to TX, sent my kenmore with my bags, wrapped an enclosed in a large bag, when I opened it it was damaged, I think it was tossed around by baggage handlers, fortunately I could have it repaired! DO NOT take it with you!
Old 04-17-2014, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
did your little Sister feel left behind? LOL
quilting board needs a like button LOL good one
Old 04-17-2014, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by scrapinmema View Post
Would never check a machine as they throw bag around. Would wait until arrival at your sisters and purchase a small machine and then ship it home when you leave.
I agree with you completely
Old 04-17-2014, 08:35 PM

I took my featherweight on a 5,000 mile flight. I took anything sharp like needles and such and put them in my checked luggage. They are a little more strict up here in the Great White North!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
Actually, Bonnie's experience was with a carryon that they made her gate-check at the last minute because the plane was full. Just another risk if you plan to carry it on - on smaller planes, or really full ones, if they think the bins are going to be too full they will force you to gate check your carryon.

I took my Kenmore as a carryon to Texas (from Canada) one year. It worked, but I don't know that I'd do it again. And on a couple of flights I did have to gate check it.
I joined Bonnie's FB group and it appears to me like now she gets people to loan her machines that then wait for her at the hotels where she stays whenever she travels by plane.

This is as it should be, IMO.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:07 AM

You might ask about checking it in as "special" luggage, it is very well protected....we just brought my father in laws very expensive guitar back from Hawaii and did it this way....came thru perfect.