Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Taking a sewing machine on a plane >

Taking a sewing machine on a plane

Taking a sewing machine on a plane

Old 04-15-2014, 06:04 PM

Default Taking a sewing machine on a plane

I know this was a topic on this board awhile back, but I can not find it, so I will post another one. I have volunteered to house sit for my sister this summer. I am looking forward to the "alone" time and want to take my sewing machine on the plane. It is a very expensive machine. My plan is to take it as a carry on. I do have super sized bubble wrap. I need to check sizes for carry on. Has anyone done this? I would appreciate any input.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:14 PM

I took my sewing machine (Bernina 131) on a flight. The flight attendants thought I was crazy and wouldn't store it upright. I had to put it on it's side in the overhead bin. I would not take my Bernina 830 on a plane. I would probably purchase a "take to class" smaller machine. I'm also 5' so in order to get my sewing machine in the overhead bin, I had to stand on the seat and then lift it up and in the bin.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:20 PM

Half of the time, the overheads are full before you get on the plane. People who travel all the time get on first if they can and use the overheads wherever they want. I sure wouldn't take a good one on. I would purchase an oldie that will take it and use it. They will cram it anywhere they can find a place. JMHO
Old 04-15-2014, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

What are you going to be working on? If it's just piecing, would get a small 'take to class' machine. I would probably get it from AllBrands and just have it shipped to my sister's house. Save all the packaging and when you are ready to return, repack & ship it back. It's worth the price of shipping not to have to deal with it on the flight.
Another option would be look for a used machine when you get there, and leave it for your sister.
I personally would not try to carry a machine on, especially an expensive one.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:56 PM

Check with the airlines. With all of the new rules I doubt they will let you take it.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:58 PM

I belive Bonnie Hunter takes a Featherweight as a carry-on all the time. I think she had a bad experience when she checked a machine once.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:33 PM

I've taken my little Brother on a plane a few times- but would never take my Elna!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:38 PM

You need to first check what type of plane. Small regional jets have a very small overhead space. Just barely big enough for a lap top case. The underseat area is also very small on the regionals.

Some airlines offer an advance boarding for a fee. Southwest is one that does it , for $12 or maybe $15.oo each way you can advance board , but you must pay this ahead of the flight. If you are flying this airline pay this fee now , if you purchased your ticket to secure the advance boarding. Do note that it will not fit in most overheads in the upright position, and you will most likely have to lay it on its side.

Last edited by Lori S; 04-15-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:57 PM

Now those are the best ideas!
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
What are you going to be working on? If it's just piecing, would get a small 'take to class' machine. I would probably get it from AllBrands and just have it shipped to my sister's house. Save all the packaging and when you are ready to return, repack & ship it back. It's worth the price of shipping not to have to deal with it on the flight.
Another option would be look for a used machine when you get there, and leave it for your sister.
I personally would not try to carry a machine on, especially an expensive one.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:33 AM

I have a Pfaff Passport which is lightweight (13lbs) and small which I would consider as my carry on. I would plan to do piecing projects and do the quilting when I got home.