Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Taking a sewing machine on a plane >

Taking a sewing machine on a plane

Taking a sewing machine on a plane

Old 04-18-2014, 07:13 AM

I carried on a full size machine- I had a painting case that it fit in just perfect. I am disabled so boarded first and had room...if you are handicapped at all that may help. It also helped to carry the machine through the airport on my walker!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:23 PM

Peckish referred to an instance with Bonnie Hunter's Featherweight. She was flying and always been allowed to take the FW on board with her. This time, the airlines refused to allow her to do it and made her check it with her baggage as well as her laptop. The Featherweight was totally destroyed and so was her laptop. I wouldn't take a chance on losing the sewing machine. I'd see about buying one there or getting one shipped ahead of time like several others suggested.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 View Post
Peckish referred to an instance with Bonnie Hunter's Featherweight. She was flying and always been allowed to take the FW on board with her. This time, the airlines refused to allow her to do it and made her check it with her baggage as well as her laptop. The Featherweight was totally destroyed and so was her laptop. I wouldn't take a chance on losing the sewing machine. I'd see about buying one there or getting one shipped ahead of time like several others suggested.
It was her pretty little Fushia colored FW, too!
Old 04-20-2014, 08:02 PM

I have taken my FW on a flight twice. I found a rolling backpack that it fit into nicely. Packed all the precut fabric around it along with any non-sharp notions. It fit under the seat in front of me even on a regional jet that had no over head bins. My poor little machine was swabbed for drugs (broke her heart!) but she came thru like the champ she is!
Old 04-20-2014, 08:15 PM

A video of Air Canada baggage handlers tossing baggage 20 ft was just posted on youtube and has received lots of media attention - just happened 2 days ago. Apparently this practice does occur also with other airlines - also reported in this news clip is damage done to baggage on a United flight.

Watch the video (after the commercial) to see what was a passenger videotaped on his phone - the comments that you hear are made by passengers in disbelief of the handlers actions:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/air-c...ired-1.1783056

I dont think that I would want my sewing machine in any of the bags that are tossed around like this - if you are forced to check at the gate and it is always a possibility it will be damaged. Lots of suggestions on how to get a machine to use after arrival when travelling by air have been given in this discussion and may be worth looking into. Keep your expensive baby safe by leaving it at home.

Last edited by costumegirl; 04-20-2014 at 08:26 PM.