Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Taking a sewing machine on a plane >

Taking a sewing machine on a plane

Taking a sewing machine on a plane

Old 04-17-2014, 04:19 AM

I'd leave your machine at home and go thrift store and yard sale shopping as soon as you get there for a cheap, used machine. You'll have fun meeting new people and snooping for a bargain. When you leave, you can give it to your relatives, or just donate it to a hospice, or Goodwill.
~ Cindy
Old 04-17-2014, 05:00 AM

I sure don't understand why it would hurt a machine to lay on its side. There is nothing to leak.

I took an IKEA SY sewing machine to Lithuania last summer. Weighs about 13 pounds. I put a few clothes in the bottom of the suitcase, laid the machine on top of that; stuffed the throat cavity with more clothing; and then took the straps that are inside most suitcases and securely tightened it down so it would not move around. Then I added other things that would fit. It got there perfectly. I just couldn't add too much other heavy stuff because of the weight limits. Clothes were the best bet. If you are taking heavy shoes or other clothes, WEAR IT.

You could also put a machine in your "purse". There are some really nice wheeled bags that will hold a machine, and you can stuff it around the machine with "essentials" and call it your purse. It would need to fit under the seat. We flew United last week and there was a lot of room under those seats. Very comfortable.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:39 AM

Just reading about taking a sewing machine along on flights. I fly very rarely so don't have to deal with this. I just wonder why planes don't limit take-ons so everyone who buys a ticket and flys has their overhead above their seat to store their things. Just my thinking I guess.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:49 AM

I like Love to Sew's answer, I'd keep my good machine at home.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
If you do decide to ship your machine, make sure you take insurance...just in case something happens. UPS, FedEx and USPS all have tracking, so you'll be able to see where your machine is.
If you ship one make sure you ship it with plenty of time to get there, as they can get "lost" enroute. I had a machine I had shipped to me and it went to WA and sat a while before I finally got it. Myself I would buy a cheap one while there and leave it, because let's face it stuff gets lost, stuff get damaged sometimes to the tune of nothing left of it.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
did your little Sister feel left behind? LOL
Good one, Nancy! I needed a laugh today.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:34 AM

I recently flew SW and took one of my FWs as carry-on and it worked just fine. A little heavy for me to carry the mile and a half at the Nashville airport; the only complaint came from my GD who was there to meet me on my arrival back home--she said "why did you hand carry this heavy thing, Grannie? You could have checked it, you know." I have also done what some have suggested here; gone to Austin and bought a yard sale machine while I was there--never more than $15, and that is more than you would pay for excess baggage, isn't it? Plus, going into the belly of that plane, I know they "throw" them, and don't care if they fall off the rolling track into the plane.....my suggestion, have your sister check yard sales now if she can and call you when she finds one you might like, then repay her when you get there.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:50 AM

What is it with the airline people telling you to be sure to bring some bubble wrap, just in case you have to check it.
THEY HAVE TO BE KIDDING.What in the world do they think bubble wrap is going to do?? Always think of a piece of luggage being dropped from the plane to the concrete tarmac. Because that happens everyday. NEVER CHECK YOUR MACHINE. ALSO NEVER USE UPS FOR SHIPPING. I have had three machines severely damaged by them....(the shipper used them, not me) My last machine, I asked for and paid extra to use FedEx. UPS CLAIMS told me, all boxes go end over end numerous times in shipment and they DO NOT PAY ANY ATTENTION TO 'THIS END UP' OR FRAGILE! That they pay halfway attention if it says 'GLASS' on the outside. Can you believe that, from UPS no less. I like .... order one from allbrands and have it shipped...I have always received their machines within two days. I have a Janome 3160 that is 11 lbs. that I have carried many times. I always had a nice gentleman to help me lay it on its side in the over head. Call a guild or sewing machine dealer and see if you can rent one of their used machines. I had a dealer in Lake Tahoe that allowed me to come to their store and sew every day for a week while my husband was at a conference. I took long breaks to sit by the lake...it was wonderful. I digress. Best wishes and have fun sewing.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:54 AM

I put my Janome Gem in a rolling carrying It fits under the seat and in the overhead. No problems with airline. Machine packed and fit well in carrying
Old 04-17-2014, 06:54 AM

save yourself a headache ~ just buy a small one there, and leave it there.