Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Taking a sewing machine on a plane >

Taking a sewing machine on a plane

Taking a sewing machine on a plane

Old 04-16-2014, 01:45 PM

I wouldn't take a big machine just because it is too much trouble to lift and haul around. A small machine like a Janome Gem or (my favorite) Featherweight would be fine as a carry on. I agree that you should buy the early boarding option so you guarantee you have enough space. I carry my Featherweight in a small soft tool box from the hardware store that would certainly fit in an overhead bin on it's side, and probably would fit under the seat too. If I was traveling any distance, I would pad it with clothes/fabric just so it didn't rattle around if laid on its side.

I travel a lot by airplane, and the one piece of advice I would have is to make sure you can take care of your bag yourself. A heavy FW original carrying case (for example) has a small handle that would be a bear to carry through a big airport. Use something with wheels or a shoulder strap if at all possible.

Pam
Old 04-16-2014, 02:08 PM

could also check if there are sewing machine company in the area that would rent you a nice machine.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:25 PM

Yes, me too. I took a Bernina 185 in a rolly carry-on bag that had to go in the overhead on a regional plane. It just fit into the bag. And it was heavy to lift it up and take it down. I paid extra for the "early boarding" so I was sure to get space up above.

It was kind of funny going through security. First, I have metal in my body, so had to deal with that. Then they had my carry-on and said we have to check your breathing machine. They were surprised to see a sewing machine.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:33 PM

I'm traveling next week and was wondering the same thing! I have a Pfaff Ambition. I usually tote it around to classes in a Tutto Rolling Tote, but it's too big for carry on. Friend of mine is leanding me her smaller rolling bag that meets the airlines carry-on sizes. Called the airlines (SouthWest) and since I purchased the early boarding, they're pretty sure I'll be able to carry-on and not have to do a last-minute gate-check (but suggested I wrap in in bubble wrap just in case).
Old 04-16-2014, 03:34 PM

Thank you for all of your input. I suggested to my DH that I just buy a Costco machine when I get there, but he quickly said, "That's all you need is another machine!" (I have six Berninas including my serger) So now I am thinking about shipping one before hand, and then having her bring it back to me when she comes this way at Thanksgiving. The problem is the least expensive machine, and the one I use the least is my 930. It is the heaviest and the one I have the greatest attachment to. Its a good thing I have time to figure this out, and a great resource in the board. The reason the house sitting appealed to me was I would have a week of uninterrupted sewing, with an a daily dog walking or two. So having a dependable machine there is important.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:28 PM

I don't think I would take my Viking Ruby on a plane! It is so heavy! I cannot begin to imagine trying to lift it into an overhead bin. Nor would I be comfortable putting it on its side (and I doubt it would fit under a seat). I think your best bet would be to purchase an inexpensive machine when you get there and leave it at your sister's house when you come home.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:12 PM

If you do decide to ship your machine, make sure you take insurance...just in case something happens. UPS, FedEx and USPS all have tracking, so you'll be able to see where your machine is.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:59 AM

I travel back and forth to Florida every three months to help care for my dad who suffers from Alzheimer's. I always bring my Singer Featherweight in its original case. I do not depend on the handle, but put a travel strap around it and carry it by holding onto that strap. Many security folks along the way have asked that I open her up so they can have a peek inside when I tell them it's a 1948 Featherweight! They sometimes respond that it's the same kind of sewing machine 'mom or grandma' used to have. I've never had a problem with taking her onboard with me - she fits perfectly, standing upright, in the overhead rack.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:54 AM

I take a regular singer or brother machine with me when I travel home to Barbados . I have taken at least 4 for friends and family . I take it as a carry on . No problems at all . In fact I am buying a brother sewing- embroidery machine to take home with me very soon. Haven't had any problems at all traveling with my machines as long as it can fit in the overhead .
Old 04-17-2014, 04:00 AM

If you are going to buy a small machine to take, what about buying it when you get there, if there are places to do that. Then check into sending it home via FedEx or something. Maybe buy it where you live and FedEx it to her place even. I agree that sometimes you can't get room in the overheads. Last two times I flew, they took my carryon and put it in the bottom of the plane.