Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what is a stash really good for? >

what is a stash really good for?

what is a stash really good for?

Old 06-27-2014, 10:14 AM

Most of my stash consists of collections now. I got rid of almost all of my non-collection stuff because it didn't go together or I couldn't find enough that went together to make something. So now when I'm making a bag or something and only need one fabric, I hate to break up a collection. I can't win.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:23 AM

If you don't really like the fabrics, see if the local public schools can use them. I give all of my scraps (and I cut big scraps on purpose!) to my art teacher at the middle school where I teach. She appreciates them, as her budget is too tight to do a lot of what she would like to do. Another thing I do with "not so favorite" fabrics is to try a new block with them, before I buy fabric for a whole quilt. I have saved myself so much money this way, mostly by discovering that I really don't want to repeat the process of making that block so many times!!!!
Old 06-27-2014, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by tncorrente View Post
Early this year by DH thought it would be best if I used up my stash before I bought more fabric. Since I have always loved scrappy quilts but never thought I could put one together I took this as a challenge.
I'm glad you were able to take that thought from your husband as a challenge and that it worked out so well for you.
Me? I would have taken it as grounds for divorce!
Old 06-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like you just MUST do a scrappy. Try a braid quilt, or maybe a sampler using many different blocks. If you do not care for it when it's done, you can always give it to charity.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by QUILTNMO View Post
i make scrap quilts they are fun!!!
same here,love making scrappys
Old 06-27-2014, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

I have a large stash and I love having it. I make quilts from it. I have probable made a dozen or two scrappy quilts from leftovers. When the weather cools I plan on giving away about 25 quilts.
Make up random scrappy lap covers and donate to an organizations that help abused women or a nursing home. They will love the warmth and knowing someone cared enough to give them something worthwhile.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Juliebelle View Post
I have been using up a lot off my older fabric stash for backing for my project Linus quilts. I am finding lots of stuff that I had forgotten that I had and it is fun using it.
I have made a seven quilts from my stash just this year. I love it. I have one of a kind quilt. Also its great for making fun backings.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:52 PM

Stash......no it's my resource center. When I need a fabric, an idea for a pattern, when I need inspiration, I go to my resource center. I only buy new fabric when I can get it on sale. Like others when I need something late at night or early in the morning I can usually find what I need there. Besides I just love looking at all the choices I have!!
Old 06-27-2014, 08:12 PM

My stash started with buying a box full of scraps from one of the on line shops I think it was 50 pounds of scraps for $35 and it has grown to 2 big plastic storage bins several shoe box sized units and 3 shelves full! Funny thing is my grand daughter is the one that uses most of the scraps. Right now I am following patterns to make specific quilts that I buy the fabric for, still have 4 more quilts to buy for then I'll start hitting my stash a lot.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:12 PM

Well the 1st thing that came to my mind on reading your headline was- The many necks that were not wrung - how many live's are still being lived. Hey today was one of those days where locking myself in the sewing room with my stash to sooth my last frayed nerve saved my brother's girlfriends life. Oh and me from a life in prison. LOL -But for the odd-strange printed fabrics we all seem to inherit I will use them up in a pattern that has lots of small squares or triangles. There are always solid fabrics in our stashes that go with them. They just need a little camouflage.