Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New machine recommendations please! >

New machine recommendations please!

New machine recommendations please!

Old 08-22-2014, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
Janome and Brother machines, even the low end ones have a fairly decent reputation, but would definitely stay away from new Singers, would do older Singers though.
Good to know. Thanks!
Old 08-22-2014, 02:18 PM

I have a top-of-the-line Bernina, but when I need to do a lot of FMQ I end up with one of my vintage japanese badged machines- the feed dogs drop, the machines are rock steady under high speeds, and I can buy pre-filled class 15 bobbins or use my own.
I do like the automatic needle up/down setting on my Bernina, and the automatic thread cutter. But I like to use that machine for delicate sewing like lingerie, stretch knits, and clothing. Even the BSR-bernina stitch regulator- can't match one of my japanese 1950's machines or my Singer 201(although the feed dogs don't drop on it).
Old 08-23-2014, 06:33 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

The vintage Bernina 830 (1970s) is a workhorse that can be found for between $300-$500 in many places. Start with a local/regional Bernina dealer, check Craigslist, and eBay and ask at any quilt guilds you may be near.

I adore my Bernina and use it daily for everything.

Jan in VA
Old 08-23-2014, 07:14 PM

If you have a sewing machine dealer in your area check with them. They always have used machines to sell, and, if they are like my dealer, can give you a lot of information and tips. Also you might want to check with a sewing machine repair person, someone who isn't affiliated with any particular brand of machine but work primarily on mechanical machines.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:12 PM

My son recently purchased a Singer 403A, which has a lever that raises the needle plate making fmq possible. I've sewn on the machine very little, but I can tell you that I LOVE it! My son got this machine at the Goodwill store locally for a mere $41. The machine "smells" new. It was and is so clean, with no dried-up oil on it, and it sews like a dream, and very quietly, too!

Jeanette
Old 08-24-2014, 03:59 AM

I would recommend that you consider a used Bernina machine. I had an old version of the 830 which was a real work horse. The technician said it was one of the models ever made.It is a mechanical machine and very trouble free. I used mine for more than 20 years before I bought an 1130 just because I wanted a computerized machine. It was also a great machine but was more costly to maintain because of the computer boards. You can buy lots of used Berninas on ebay. Most run about $400. If you go that route be sure to look for those that come with a walking foot.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:21 AM

I would go with a different vintage machine. The 301 or 301A is a good choice. I am using a vintage New Home currently that I bought for $50 at my aunt's estate yard sale. I also have a 301A as backup. While I am using my vintage machines I am saving for a new Viking and increasing my stash.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:32 AM

If you have friends who sew, ask to try their machines to get acquainted with the newer features. Go to a sewing shop or two and have them demonstrate their machines with no intention of buying YET. You will be using this machine for a long time so make sure you are getting what you want. I would not be without a needle threader, a thread cutter, or the ability to make really nice buttonholes. I have a Pfaff with the built in walking foot and it is a valuable addition also. Shop for a while before you buy. It sounds like you might be having trouble with your machine motor when it gets "tired". Does the motor get hot?? If it's been serviced it shouldn't be an issue with oil, or worn parts.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:18 AM

I got the Brother SQ #### from Walmart. so far no problem, love it. great for beginner like me, plus good price, less than $300. SQ stands for Sewing Quilting. hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:04 AM

Don't hesitate to look at used machines. I have 2 older Berninas I bought used. I have had the older one (1320) for at least 18 years - the perfect machine for me.