Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-01-2014, 01:07 PM

Welcome aboard vintagequilter. I'm glad you are still able to do something creative that you enjoy. We would love to see pictures of your work and your machines. I have a black Majestic that is a 15 clone, but I have not sewn with it. My sister found it at a yard sale and bought it for me.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I'm debating a universal cabinet where I can just drop the machines in, case and all. All I would have to do is build the cases all the same size and it would certainly be easy enough to mod an existing cabinet.
Rodney
Rodney I was just thinking. I've got a little Kenmore cabinet that's beautiful on the outside until you open it up and see what someone did to modify it to make a Brother machine fit. Since you want to do modifications anyway to make it fit your needs, maybe you'd like to do it to this one.

Cari
Old 09-01-2014, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by vintagequilter View Post
I am new to the site but would love to jump in. my favorites are my White Rotary and Majestic. I am legaly blind but god left me enough to quilt and sew
Welcome to the Board we are all friends here so jump in when ever you can. Glad you are still able to sew, but watch out we are all collectors and you might get the bug too.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:55 PM

Cari: Thanks, it's just an idea at this point. I'm currently sitting on a couple extra cabinets too. It might be a fun concept to try, kind of like the universal treadle setups people have made. I want to be able to use every machine I own at some point-at least in theory-and it would be more convenient. I think I will start building my boxes to a standard size. Even if it doesn't go further than that, it'll simplify construction. We all have our favorites or go-to machines but I've also come to the conclusion that the only thing harder on a machine (not just sewing machines) than using it is letting it sit too long.
If you want to try one out I'd be happy to repair your cabinet and install a tray to set cases in for you.
Rodney
Old 09-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Cari: Thanks, it's just an idea at this point. I'm currently sitting on a couple extra cabinets too. It might be a fun concept to try, kind of like the universal treadle setups people have made. I want to be able to use every machine I own at some point-at least in theory-and it would be more convenient. I think I will start building my boxes to a standard size. Even if it doesn't go further than that, it'll simplify construction. We all have our favorites or go-to machines but I've also come to the conclusion that the only thing harder on a machine (not just sewing machines) than using it is letting it sit too long.
If you want to try one out I'd be happy to repair your cabinet and install a tray to set cases in for you.
Rodney
Thanks for the offer but I have a favorite cabinet I switch my Japanese machines in and out of and one for my Singers. I love the knee lever in them. I also have one of those generic folding flat bed tables for machines in a case. I just thought since you were talking about modifying one, and this one has already had some done to it and it's such a pretty one, not like those ugly(to me anyway) wicker front Kenmore ones that are so common(I have one of those too)and it's a small one.[ATTACH=CONFIG]490029[/ATTACH]Maybe I should just hang on to all this stuff and give it all away when/if we PNW'ers ever have the get together.

Cari
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	S5032100.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	490029  
Old 09-01-2014, 07:11 PM

I need to do more work on that. I should just announce a date & time and hopefully enough people will be interested enough to show.
That is a pretty one. I think I just might take you up on your offer. Then all I have to do is figure out where to set it up...
Rodney
Old 09-01-2014, 08:07 PM

I've got a cabinet that has a spring loaded support for the leaf. How to you get the support arm to stay in? Right now its got tape on it to hold it but when I clean this cabinet up I want the tape gone.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
I've got a cabinet that has a spring loaded support for the leaf. How to you get the support arm to stay in? Right now its got tape on it to hold it but when I clean this cabinet up I want the tape gone.
There's two little buttons on the back leaf hinges that come together when the cabinet is closed and do something to hold the support in. I also have one that doesn't work right. If you can get under the cabinet to see how it's supposed to work, I think that it gets gunked up too and needs oiled or worked at to free it up.

Cari
Old 09-01-2014, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
There's two little buttons on the back leaf hinges that come together when the cabinet is closed and do something to hold the support in. I also have one that doesn't work right. If you can get under the cabinet to see how it's supposed to work, I think that it gets gunked up too and needs oiled or worked at to free it up.

Cari
Thank you. Its got a plastic wonder in it at the moment( bought for the cabinet not the machine). I'll take it out and see what I can see under there. Hopefully nothing is broken and I can get it to work properly cause I really like the cabinet.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:40 PM

hello everyone im a new sewer and really have no idea to operate this. bought it from the street in my town. i know its vintage. it looks like singer 223 but im not sure. does someone knows what model is this.? the man who selling this doesnt have manual so im having a hard time to google a manual. [ATTACH=CONFIG]490036[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140901_062358.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	490036  

Last edited by lilebeth; 09-01-2014 at 11:42 PM.