Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Journeys with Dear Jane: Baby Janes in the making and complete >

Journeys with Dear Jane: Baby Janes in the making and complete

Journeys with Dear Jane: Baby Janes in the making and complete

Old 09-04-2014, 01:38 PM

OOhhh - you are nearly there Gus !! The design wall was first put onto the Dear Jane website by Sharon Mastbrook - but she - for reasons that even Brenda Papadakis tried to discover - removed it. So it is now - sadly not available.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:14 PM

Oh - Gus, I think I have misunderstood you - I am not computer savvy - but here is my Husband who will try to explain what you need.

Hello Gus Pete here - If you are trying to place a link to your design wall as your signature you have to use the free web space allocated to you by your service provider. Or if you don't have any you will need to buy some for an annual fee from a web space provider. When you have some web space you then have to create a web page with your wall info loaded into it. Then this page will have an address made by you for your web page and this address is what you use as a signature. Like Dots at our web provider talktalk here in the UK.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:29 PM

Actually the "design wall" is incorporated in the dear jane software as "my chart" I took a picture of the chart but haven't been able to post it as a 'link'
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490332[/ATTACH]I haven't taken a picture of it recently - many of the empty spaces are now filled
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DJ chart photo.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	490332  
Old 09-09-2014, 05:27 AM

It has been slow going for my Jane that I started in January. Summer has been so busy. I will try to post pictures next week of the few blocks I have done. Love seeing everyones blocks. Cre8vlwyr you have so much done it looks great.
Gladys yours is coming right along.Did you do any machine quilting before taking the BBQA by Leah Day ? Love the work you are doing with that one.
DogHouseMom did you use the Dear Jane software to plan yours? It looks great.
I am wondering of those of you that have the Dear Jane software how do you like it? Is it worth while buying? Does it help with the changing of some of the blocks?

Thanks Kendra
Old 09-09-2014, 09:43 AM

ok....so I lost a rather lengthy response a few minutes earlier because my computer was sounding like it would explode and the words were lagging behind a bit before appearing on screen!

software - it depends on what you want to do with it. You can certainly - pre-plan your quilt. You can also do a layout and play around a bit - but I haven't figured out a way to swap blocks directly. I will try to type later - computer acting up again
Old 09-11-2014, 11:59 AM
mim

[QUOTE=Pink Lady;6880771]It has been slow going for my Jane that I started in January. Summer has been so busy. I will try to post pictures next week of the few blocks I have done. Love seeing everyones blocks. .
DogHouseMom did you use the Dear Jane software to plan yours? It looks great.
I am wondering of those of you that have the Dear Jane software how do you like it? Is it worth while buying? Does it help with the changing of some of the blocks?

Yes the software is very useful if youn are going to change the size. I wanted a 5 1/5 inch finish block. The program makes it really easy. The only thinking I have to do is the dimension of the of the triangles because I am adding a 1" sashing to make it large enough when it is done

I am very quiet because I have so many projects going that Jane gets put on the back burner. Maybe when I get back to the west coast and don't have gardens to play with

Mim
Old 09-11-2014, 08:03 PM

Hi Mim! and back to Kendra's question as well... (if computer behaves!! ....and doggie doesn't drive me nuts wanting her walk...)
I have both the book and the software. When I first began I did print out a few templates, but as time went on I just found that too time consuming. As I said before - with the software you can do some planning of your quilt - play with the layout using the blocks put into the software. You can upload your own fabrics (I've not been savy enough to do that quickly....so I stopped) You can use the chart and replace the block numbers in the original DJ with your own actual blocks and you will end up with something very similar to Dotty's. I had a problem getting the chart to work though and as a result I could put the photos in but I can't click on the individual blocks to see them up close.

What I usually was - get a 'feel' of the block - audition fabrics and decide whether to machine piece, hand piece, or applique - or a combo. Sometimes I paper-pieced part of a block, rarely all of it. I'm a mathematician, so I measured pieces where possible, added 1/2" all the way around when dealing with easy shapes and simply pieced, etc. I think paper piecing gives a great finish - very precise! But you can achieve the same by piecing carefully and you won't have teeny pieces of paper to remove.

I used the book solely - 90-95% of the time. I altered patterns that I felt did not represent the original. ---NOTE: I later found that Brenda had some of her "alternate" blocks in the software that were more closely like the originals. Not all are there though. I just completed BR12 and there is no such pattern in the software.

If you do want to use the software and paper-piece, I recommend you purchase lightweight -newspaper weight paper. It can be used in printers - print on a 'draft' setting if you can as the ink is put on the paper much lighter than normal.

Mim - I am now actually 4 triangles, 1 square, and 2 kites from completion. made the blocks 4 1/2" like original but I will make my sashes wider. I think I will assemble first and then decide how wide to make the sashing between the triangles.

Good luck to you!!! The 1" sashing could be enough - you are dealing with an angle though...I'd have to figure it out.
Gus
Old 09-12-2014, 04:14 AM

I am working on my DJ every free chance I get and I have 99 blocks done. I started mine in January and my goal is to get 10 blocks done a month so I have met my goal so far but it has been a challenge. I use the software to print my patterns but I use "That Quilt" for instructions. I print my patterns on Carol Doak's foundation paper. It is so much easier to remove then regular copy paper and I use Reynold's freezer paper for the applique pieces. I am guilty of not taking pictures after finishing the blocks. I am so far behind in taking pictures it wold take me forever to get caught up. Whenever I have free time, I use it to create the blocks so I don't have any idea when I will get caught up with the pictures but I will. I am very pleased with the applique that I am doing now. I can see how I have improved since I started. I was far from being an expert when I started and I not as afraid of those pesky little melons any more. I am glad people are back posting again. I look forward to everyone progress and my pictures will be coming soon.
Karen
Old 09-14-2014, 09:35 AM

Default Milestone of 100th Block

Well I have met a milestone. I have finished my 100 block and I have taken the pictures to catch up with my Dear Jane chart. I am not sure which one is one of my favorite but am happy with my finished blocks and look forward to the remaining challenges Jane and Brenda has past on to us. I have included some of the last blocks and the Excel Dear Jane chart. I look forward to you comments.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	H9.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	491546   Click image for larger version

Name:	H8.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	491547   Click image for larger version

Name:	H7.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	491548   Click image for larger version

Name:	H6.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	491549  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Dear Jane Block Chart.pdf (388.3 KB, 121 views)
Old 09-14-2014, 09:37 AM

I don't know why the chart posted as an adobe attachment but hopefully you will all be able to open it.