Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
anybody have this happen to them??? >

anybody have this happen to them???

anybody have this happen to them???

Old 10-27-2014, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I thought hydrogen peroxide could damage fabric? I seem to recall reading a story on Leah Day's blog about her first wholecloth quilt, and she put hydrogen peroxide on it for some reason and it ended up "burning" it....?

Yeah, here it is: http://www.leahday.com/quilttheduchess/ Look for the "Update: Spring 2012" entry. It's about 2/3rds down the page. This story scared me off of hydrogen peroxide on fabric! It's tragic looking at those photos....so much amazing work.
OMG! this is horrible
Old 10-28-2014, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I thought hydrogen peroxide could damage fabric? I seem to recall reading a story on Leah Day's blog about her first wholecloth quilt, and she put hydrogen peroxide on it for some reason and it ended up "burning" it....?

Yeah, here it is: http://www.leahday.com/quilttheduchess/ Look for the "Update: Spring 2012" entry. It's about 2/3rds down the page. This story scared me off of hydrogen peroxide on fabric! It's tragic looking at those photos....so much amazing work.
I have a hole in one of my table runners because I used hhydrogen peroxide to try and remove marking pencil and the markings did not disappear.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:36 AM

A great hint so thanks for sharing it with us. Who hasn't scorched a piece of fabric before, not me ?
Old 10-28-2014, 06:44 AM

Was the fabric starched? Perhaps the starch scorched, not the fabric and the peroxide took the starch off? Just a thought.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:20 AM

I attend a weekly quilting class and one of the students told me that if you poke yourself and get blood on the fabric, to spit on thread or fabric and rub the blood spot. I was not a believer until I poked myself and got a drop of blood on white fabric. I spit (quite a lot) on a piece of fabric and rubbed the spot - the blood went away (not sure where but do not care).

Just thought I would give this tip.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:10 AM

Peroxide is also great for removing blood. Dab it on immediately. I get frequent nose bleeds and have had to do this a lot on my clothes. Also, nurses use it.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:12 AM

This also works great on small spots of blood--but it has to be your saliva.
Originally Posted by Jakers1 View Post
I attend a weekly quilting class and one of the students told me that if you poke yourself and get blood on the fabric, to spit on thread or fabric and rub the blood spot. I was not a believer until I poked myself and got a drop of blood on white fabric. I spit (quite a lot) on a piece of fabric and rubbed the spot - the blood went away (not sure where but do not care).

Just thought I would give this tip.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:02 AM

Nurses use hydrogen peroxide to get blood off clothes, but not on wounds because hydrogen peroxide is a cytotoxin which means it will kill cells. These cells accumulating on your clean wound are necessary for healing and you do not want to kill them.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for that bit of advice, as I didn't know that peroxide would remove scorch marks. Great FYI.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:18 PM

thanks for the tip