Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My machine is sick.. now I am worried >

My machine is sick.. now I am worried

My machine is sick.. now I am worried

Old 11-07-2014, 03:07 PM

Default My machine is sick.. now I am worried

I have a Janome 6600 and I love it. I took off work today to finish up a quilt for my niece.... and this evening my machine choked on me. And of course it didn't happen until the time my dealer would be closing. The machine displays E1 Error. Such a bummer. The dealer did answer when I called and said it sounds like a blown fuse... but it could be the A board. ugh So I am wondering how many others out there with my machine had this problem.. and what percentage was the fuse and how many were the more expensive A board problem......
I can take the machine to the dealer in the morning, but who knows how long they will have it
Old 11-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

Chances are you have tried this already but, just in case ..... turn the machine off (you probably have already done that by now). Now turn it on again, and see if it mysteriously disappears. Sometimes that is all it takes.

Otherwise, take out the bobbin and the spool, and be sure to give it a full cleaning, taking out any loose threads and/or lint and add a drop of oil. Re-thread top and bottom. Then turn off for a few minutes and try again.

No sense fretting over it now .... just take it in the morning and see what they say.
Unless they have a techie there on site, chances are you will not learn much tomorrow.
(At my dealer, the techie does not work Saturdays.)
At the least, you know it is in the queue for Monday.

Good Luck!
Old 11-07-2014, 03:40 PM

This happened to me often when my machine was new. Unplug machine for at least 5 minutes. Plug back in and you can probably sew with it. I had the fuse replaced,pretty simple and it has never happened again. It's been 6 years, maybe more....... good luck, I don't think it's serious!
Old 11-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

I just googled "Janome 6600 E1 Error". There were lots of hits.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:54 PM

Thanks for your thoughts... and sewnsewsue that makes me feel better that yours was only a fuse .. and that was 6 years ago. QuiltE your right.. no need to fret over it now.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:04 PM

And I reckon you're not one of us lucky ladies who own Featherweights as a first line (or back up, whichever comes first) sewing machine; especially since you took a day off from work to finish a project.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:16 PM

I have been thinking about getting a second machine, and this is going to make my decision for me.... just have to get the money together
Old 11-08-2014, 11:45 AM

Second machines are so important. Someme of us have many. I love my 6600 for quilting and decorative things but prefer my 301 s for piecing. They are really pretty cheap compared to a featherweight. I have bought some off of Craigslist for $50-60 on up to $ 100. I paid a lot more on EBay plus shipping before I smartened up. These machines can be maintained by YOU, no repair bills. No computer, just beautiful straight stitches. If you can afford a Featherweight, go for it. I just think they are too expensive in comparison to my 301s. They are easy to travel with, only 16 lbs. I think there are lots of great, used machines for sale. I have heard that the old Kenmores were workhorses too. Watch Craigslist and if you see something you like, make an offer. I usually offer about half of what they are asking, they are not made of gold. Good luck!
Old 11-08-2014, 01:27 PM

I would also recommend the Singer 404...LOVE that machine!
Old 11-08-2014, 02:26 PM

well I took my machine to the dealer this morning.. and what a relief it was only the fuse. Only $10 to fix and he fixed it while I waited. That was a very nice surprise so I go to bring my baby home with me. I did end up buying a second machine, its only money Now I will have a machine to take with me to workshops!!