Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My machine is sick.. now I am worried >

My machine is sick.. now I am worried

My machine is sick.. now I am worried

Old 11-08-2014, 04:52 PM

I am so glad that it was only a fuse and that you were able to take your machine home with you. Congratulations on getting a second machine. Last year, my daughter gave me a Featherweight. I do all of my piecing on it. I love the fact that I can service it myself. Now I wonder what I did without that second machine. I hope you will enjoy your second machine as much as I.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:04 PM

Thanks for telling us about this. I've had my Janome 6600 for about 5 years now and have never had a problem. I take in into the shop every year or two for servicing - I wonder if he replaces the fuse on those visits. At least now if something happens, I won't worry quite so much. I bought a Janome partly because of their reputation for reliability (after surveying a number of home economics teachers).
Old 11-08-2014, 05:08 PM

Good for you. But you didn't mention what you brought home--a used one, or a new one? I thought I HAD TO HAVE A JANOME some time last Spring--DH and I went to Bowling Green; and I told the ladies in the store they had to "stay under $300, had to have quiet, and I forgot what else"; they showed me every Janome in the store within that price range and I came home happy with just the one I wanted, plus they included a quilting foot and something else that I didn't need.

I have used that machine about three times. It is portable, so has to be set up and taken down when I use it, and I am so spoiled to my Elna in a cabinet (the key word here is probably "spoiled" and DH is already asking me what I want for Christmas. ?What?) I am giving serious thought to giving the Janome to my GD; she sews when I can get her to sit down and visit with me......maybe it would encourage her to visit with me more often.....
Old 11-08-2014, 06:04 PM

My new machine is a Janome Magnolia 7330. It was a little more $$ than I wanted to spend, but I really wanted another Janome so that everything would be interchangeable. This ones weighs about half as much as the 6600 so it will be good to take with me to workshops.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:06 PM

oldtnquiltinglady.. I know what you mean about having the machine there for your GD. I don't have grandchildren but I have a niece who sews when she visits me. And I thought the same thing, that this 2nd machine would be a good visitor machine for Jess to use when she visits.. then we work on things side by side
Old 11-09-2014, 03:24 AM
Power Poster

often times you can get a nice vintage machine for about the price of a repair but in this case I doubt it... You may still want to visit the sewing section of the board and see what is out there
Old 11-09-2014, 06:44 AM

Good for you. It looks like everything turned out just sew perfect.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:01 AM

My first machine purchased a month after we married is a 404. I have it back now (it was at my daughter's house) after it being laid up in her garage for a few months. It's waiting to be cleaned and oiled right now. This is a little workhorse and makes a beautiful stitch.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:17 AM

I bought a new machine in September, it needs to go in for repairs again. In the meanwhile, I'll use my 1917 White Rotary treadle, she doesn't give me any problems.
Sharon in Texas
Old 11-09-2014, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

You just can't fret over things that you can not control. Our DSM are just like cars. You just say a prayer and keep your fingers crossed that it is not going to be an expensive fix. Last time something similar happen to me but all it was that some dust bunnies got into an area I could not access with my normal cleaning and oiling. Normal servicing repair that problem.