Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you even bother? >

Would you even bother?

Would you even bother?

Old 11-17-2014, 06:07 AM

That quilt's a beauty. I'd get a small square ruler and cut sqaures. As many as I could all the same size. You'll be glad you used it.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:15 AM

I would just fold that like folding if nothing was cut out.Cut into strips and cut squares and rectangles to a useable size and store for another project.There would very little to throw away.Check out Bonnie Hunter,she has so many ideas for using what you think you can't.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:48 AM

YES, I would.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:09 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Lucky you....a cleaning lady!! LOL
Old 11-17-2014, 07:15 AM

Gorgeous quilt!! I'm el cheapo so I would try to cut something from it!
Old 11-17-2014, 07:43 AM

Wow! Awesome quilt that you made!!

The leftover fabric....Sizzix has really nice dies for cutting squares. 2" die, 1.5" die, etc. I would use the dies to cut the scraps into squares. There are other shapes also, if you're in the mood for non-squares. Accuquilt also has some nice dies (their's are larger in scope than Sizzix and more expensive also).

Using the dies helps to keep the fabric on grain a little easier, IMO. I just cut the fabric up into chunks based on where the holes are, lay the chunks on the die, and off we go.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:52 AM

Default usable scraps

I would think there might be enough to do paper pieced blocks if you do that kind of work or cut small squares or triangles from the larger of the scrap areas. I know it takes time to sew it all back together, but, I did a border with snowball cutoffs and it turned out quite nice. Yes. it took time to put it all together with over 120 pieces from those corner cut offs, but it worked well and has added another dimention on the quilt that I am in the process of making.

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
Obviously I fussy cut flowers out of this fabric and now I'm left with this...

and silly me, not wanting to waste fabric, I'm thinking I can cut it further and use it in a scrap quilt but hmmn, what a pain in the you know what. I don't think there is an easy way. What would you do? How would you attempt to cut it? Or seriously, would you even bother?

And I'll try to get a pic of one of the quilts that came from this mess if it will work...
Old 11-17-2014, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

Your quilt is beautiful and I would try to cut as many pieces as I could out of what's left, 2.5" squares, larger if you can, but also using spray starch for bias edges. It's too pretty to just toss, when there are some usable areas left that could be used in a scrap quilt, strips or squares.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:46 AM

I would "bother", I'm mainly a crumb and string quilter--I LOVE scrappy and really appreciate the friends that give me their treasures. Find somebody that loves crumb/strings or donate to somebody that does animal beds. I do animal beds with everything I can't use.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:54 AM

Your quilt is very beautiful! You still have plenty of fabric left to make usable blocks. If you think it's not worth it, just give it to someone else who will use the piece of left over fabric.