Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stupid Bernina Sewing Machine >

Stupid Bernina Sewing Machine

Stupid Bernina Sewing Machine

Old 11-29-2014, 05:43 AM

I have a Bernina 440QE and I love it and several friends have the 180 have you changed the needle also right needle size or thread you are using also the bobbin thing can't think of right name does need to be oiled often also cleaned as the Bernina at least to my findings does not like any lint your book should have instructions for this then to it may need a goo service I would check with the dealer you do have a wonderful machine
Old 11-29-2014, 05:59 AM

SuzyM, you can find some really good buys at thrift shops or craigslist for Kenmore machines. I've gotten some real bargains that way!! I've never paid over $35 for any I've bought, and the older ones are so dependable!
Old 11-29-2014, 06:10 AM

Change your bobbin. Mine are plastic and I have found that they get old, I had one that was full and giving me nothing but problems (they also have to click - you know the feel). I found that I had a mess on the underside of my sewing and the thread even came up to the top???. I wound a new bobbin (brand new), and had no problems. Pulled all that nice thread off my problem bobbin, but still didn't see anything. Closed my eyes and ran my finger around top, bottom and the middle and finally found with my fingernail a small crack. Dumped the bobbin and that was the end of my problem. So maybe it's as simple as that. Good luck
Old 11-29-2014, 06:10 AM

I can relate to your issues! My Viking has never sewn as well as my Singer 401A. I love the feel of the tension on the Singer; I seems like the Viking has no tension as all. Hope you can figure it out.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:22 AM

The bobbin could be the problem. I've had trouble on my Brother's if I don't use the right bobbin. The prewound bobbins don't work for me. Are you sure the bobbin is the correct one for your machine? Some bobbins look the same but are just a smidgen off.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:27 AM

I've had a Bernina 830 that is 43 years young. I take it in occassionally to have it cleaned and oiled. The problem you have may be that the bobbin thread is not in correctly. My machine will us any type of thread. It is a very accurate machine. Thus, if anything is off it will mess up your stitching. It is a top line machine. The suggestion to take it to a dealer is correct so you know how to use the various settings. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:30 AM

It's horrid when u seem to be spending more time sorting issues with machines than u do sewing. Did your mum have issues before u got it? If not maybe it's time for a service by a pro if u can x
Old 11-29-2014, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
A mess on the bottom is not a bobbin issue, it's a top thread issue. There are any number of things that could be causing it. Check the manual carefully and make sure the top thread is threaded correctly. Make sure nothing is impeding the thread path as you sew. Try adjusting the top tension tighter. Make sure your thread size is matched to your needle size, maybe try a larger needle. And this one is sort of obvious, but we've all done it - make sure the presser foot is down.

As others have said, maybe it simply needs to go in for service. A good service tech will take time to show you things and answer all your questions.
Yes, yes, please follow this advice, a mess on the bottom is an upper threading problem, I suspect the upper thread is not getting into the tension disks properly. Are you threading with the pressure foot up? If you thread with the pressur foot down the thread can not sit in the tension disks.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:58 AM

I recommend taking it to a Bernina dealer and having it tuned up. It probably needs cleaning or something.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
I have two Berninas. I've only sewn on Berninas for 20 years and I've never had a problem with my tension, even after letting a machine sit for several years. I would have a repairperson look at it before switching to another machine. My machines have given me nothing but top quality stitching on every type of material. I hope you get to the bottom of the problem quickly.
I have been sewing on my Bernina for over 40 years and it has been wonderful. I admit, though, that I have not done the servicing with the professional that is recommended, but I HAVE kept it oiled, etc. I would try having it serviced and just see if that helps. Berninas are wonderful machines.