Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 12-01-2014, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Ok, let’s get down to some facts here.

How can you tell when it’s cat spray and when it’s mouse spray? Is there something in the essence of it? The texture? The color of the rag that mopped it up? The amount of eye-watering when cleaning it up? What?

And how do you know it’s not just a drunken spouse messing with the owner? Or a toddler that is learning how to write his name?

CD in Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
In my experience CD, each situation has it's own unique essence, with the possible exception of the spouse and the toddler. Same species and all...........

Cari
Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I avoid too deep an inhale and go by height of the leg lift LOL!
Wow. You have all put a lot of thought into this. I think I assumed cat pee from the sheer reek of it but I'm far from a connoisseur.

Christy, is the height measured from the ground, or the relative height of the .... donor?
Old 12-01-2014, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Well, you might not have helped that particular "fix it" technique disappear with your recent ads...

I'm sure there are good T&S machines. I have a mental block against them because the one I got or my 10th birthday wasn't the bicycle I'd asked for and I wasn't allowed to take lessons, so all of my learning was by trial and error. I learned to duck flying needle shrapnel, knit sweaters for my bobbins and otherwise ruin projects. 24 years later, we attended couples counseling (sewing lessons) where I learned that I was the problem in the relationship and I learned to make that machine work for me but the relationship was already so damaged that we divorced soon afterward and I can't date another T&S to this day.
hahahahahaha! I can't stop laughing over this. The most hilarious read I've had in a long time! I know of your talents, but this one is new to me! Stand up comic? Lol!
Old 12-01-2014, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

HA HA HA HA..... you made my day... leg height...

I picked up a VERY ugly machine - pics later. I was cleaning away and rebuilding the tension and my phone rang. Some guy bought a machine from me a few weeks ago and he LOVES LOVES LOVES that machine and he has told all his buddies about it. LOL... Anyway one of his buddies called and tried to sell me his grandma's 239 or something. So I talked to him a while. I didn't want the thing. I donated the eight I had to a school since they don't move for me but they were working. I told him how to try to try to market it and he might get $30 out of it. I told him he needed to clean it up a little and sew a swatch. Take more pictures. Show how it has metal gears if it does... Well. He figured out it isn't unmanly to sew after all. As I walked him through how to learn to sew on it he decided to keep it and learn to sew... SCORE!!!
Old 12-01-2014, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

My sister told me I sold the guy his own machine to himself.........
Old 12-01-2014, 05:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
.... As I walked him through how to learn to sew on it he decided to keep it and learn to sew... SCORE!!!

Now THAT is a win!!!
Old 12-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Banned

Now that's salesmanship! I unwittingly talked a seller into keeping a machine, I was telling her how much I love the old Brothers and why, she backed out of the sale and kept it.

Cari
Old 12-01-2014, 05:24 PM

LOL! You gals are on a roll with your comedy! Laughter is healthy....thank you.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

Ok another good laugh. I saw this on the GW auction, felt sorry for it and bought it. I knew from the get go it was not a pretty face. I just kind of felt like messing with it though. Ok. UGLY. butt ugly... It still needs some more work but I thought I'd show it anyway. Nothing seriously wrong with it. I took apart the tensions, cleaned etc. I cleaned out the bobbin area and under the feed dogs - nothing serious. I cleaned the back and the stitch length. Only thing wrong seems to be ugliness and WIRING is pretty bad. BUT That machine turns like a dream. WOW.
That ugly thing needs a poem... maybe because it runs like a poem... er sewing machine...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]500888[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ugly old Singer 15 039.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	500888  
Old 12-09-2014, 12:38 PM

Thanks to the discussion about the Singer 96-60 over in another thread, I took time today to dig out my Singer Industrial Convertible Treadle stand and put the 2-piece pitman rod together with the coupling nut that a treadling friend of mine down in Arkansas came up with this summer. I’m so glad to finally find that nut, and it went on just like it was made for it (which it is, I guess).

The treadle parts haven’t been used in who knows how many years, so everything is moving pretty stiff. I oiled all of the motion points and backed the cone bolt out a tad on the flywheel axle, gave it several good spins, and now will let it set and soak up the oil for a while.

Now, I need to decide which top to put on it for my Singer 96-40. I’ve got 2-3 to pick from. I sure like the bobbed-off top that I have on my MUTT with the 31-15 in it, but I’m thinking that a full-sized 4-ft long top may be better for FMQ. Those big tops just take so danged much room in a tiny house.....

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Machine76C_20.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	501962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Machine76C_21.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	501963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Machine407C_29.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	501964  
Old 12-09-2014, 12:41 PM

I've never noticed a pitman rod with a coupling nut. That is really interesting. Thanks for sharing CD.

FREE Quilting Newsletter