Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Bought a New Home Janome 673 with issues, need some advice >

Bought a New Home Janome 673 with issues, need some advice

Bought a New Home Janome 673 with issues, need some advice

Old 12-19-2014, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I don't give up on machines that I can get back the $ I put into it. Or if it's a special machine, but parts machines are a good thing too.
Candace, this machine is not meant for re-sale, I want a good zz machine for personal use.

This one would replace the Necchi that I bought recently. I am selling that one to a friend who has good use for it. It works really well but I don't like it enough to keep it. We've fixed it, and I'm selling it for the purchase price.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:38 AM

Sabine,

Some plastic gears are outrageously expensive. I have a singer 3343 with a cracked cam stack gear. I've found one source for that gear and they want almost $70.00 for it. { http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/sin...ine-parts.aspx } I won't pay that for a plastic gear. My wife and I decided to see how long she can run the machine before the cracked gear gives up the ghost. After that we keep the flat cams and part the rest of it out.

I'm glad your husband found the parts you need to fix that machine. It is so very satisfying to get one all fixed up and running again.

Joe
Old 12-19-2014, 12:14 PM

Joe, will that model run just a straight stitch if the camstack gear is a goner? I have a Brother with that same problem. Right now it will still do all the stitches because the crack isn't that large, but eventually it will be a parst machine. I can't remember if the cam follower releases for a SS on mine. If it does then I could keep it as a SS, but if not, on the parts machine rack it goes.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
You will need to find a class 15 bobbin.

Ugh. I did it again! I switched TO the class 15 bobbin*. I can't for the life of me get the bobbin's names figured out, but I used the right kind :-) .

It came with a class 66 inserted, same as my 99 and 201, but seemed too "young" for that kind of a bobbin, though I'm not sure if age is a qualifying factor for determining which one is the right kind.....

Can anyone enlighten me?

*confused because the singer 15 clones look like my 99 and 201 and Bel Air, and yet use the 66 bobbins....
Old 12-19-2014, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Sabine,

Some plastic gears are outrageously expensive. ............ My wife and I decided to see how long she can run the machine before the cracked gear gives up the ghost. After that we keep the flat cams and part the rest of it out.

I'm glad your husband found the parts you need to fix that machine. It is so very satisfying to get one all fixed up and running again.

Joe

Well, it looks like we found the part, but the seller no longer has it available... but it would have been (relatively) cheap. I now have an inquiry going at the Janome dealer in town and then would contact various eBay sellers....
One seller in particuar is happy to look for parts in his inventory - which makes sense. I know how difficult it is to photograph and set up listings.

Beyond that .... the 673 is running fine with a rubber band instead of a belt, so maybe we'll just wing it with the broke gear and a different belt and see how it goes. It wouldn't be my only zig-zagger, but so far the nicest one.... (And it is contributing immensely to our learning curve.)

On a positive note: A fellow Quilting Board-er has kindly sent me a PDF of the manual for the 672 :-) which is probably as close as I'll get to a 673 manual without paying for one. It does help!!

Thanks for all the support!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-03-2016 at 10:41 AM. Reason: language
Old 12-20-2014, 06:03 AM

Sabine sent me an email yesterday regarding a New Home manual I was able to get from Janome. I have 672 New Home. Apparently Janome wasn't going pony one up for her like they did me. I was happy to send the pdf to her. The two machines are close enough that it was helpful.

I just love the internet and how we can share what we have and have learned. I haven't been on this board for a while so if Sabine hadn't sent me that email, I would never have known of her plight.

Sabine, I was glad to have been able to help. If you need more information, please let me know.

Gail
Old 12-20-2014, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Joe, will that model run just a straight stitch if the camstack gear is a goner? I have a Brother with that same problem. Right now it will still do all the stitches because the crack isn't that large, but eventually it will be a parst machine. I can't remember if the cam follower releases for a SS on mine. If it does then I could keep it as a SS, but if not, on the parts machine rack it goes.
Candace,
I'm not sure. It has the ZZ cam in it at all times but I suppose we could take it out and see what happens. Or read the manual.

Joe
Old 12-20-2014, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by sews View Post
Well, it looks like we found the part, but the seller no longer has it available... but it would have been (relatively) cheap. I now have an inquiry going at the Janome dealer in town and then would contact various eBay sellers....
One seller in particuar is happy to look for parts in his inventory - which makes sense. I know what a PITA it is to photograph and set up listings.

Beyond that .... the 673 is running fine with a rubber band instead of a belt, so maybe we'll just wing it with the broke gear and a different belt and see how it goes. It wouldn't be my only zig-zagger, but so far the nicest one.... (And it is contributing immensely to our learning curve.)

On a positive note: A fellow Quilting Board-er has kindly sent me a PDF of the manual for the 672 :-) which is probably as close as I'll get to a 673 manual without paying for one. It does help!!

Thanks for all the support!
Sabine,
I've run into that many times. There is a second dealer with the cam stack gear listed for less than $20.00 but he doesn't have any in stock. So we'll just see how long it lasts.

Joe