Free Treadle Sewing Machine

Old 12-21-2014, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
I was really curious about what a two spool was so I googled it and oh boy is that an amazing machine. Now I want one, lol! I figured never would I probably see one in my neck of the woods so I was blown away to see one on CL within 2 hours of me! It was gorgeous too but it must have sold because I couldn't get the listing to pull up right. Soooo....I hope one of our vintage friends on here picked it up! Anyone get one in the past few weeks?
Hey, no fair! I'm calling dibs on the next two spools ad no matter where it is! :-)

Aren't they awesome?! They're like hen's teeth here. Sigh, you could free motion for quite some time before you need to pop in a new one. Also if you start a new spool in the top and bottom at the same you really only need to pay attention to the thread level on the top I would assume.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
I was really curious about what a two spool was so I googled it and oh boy is that an amazing machine. Now I want one, lol! I figured never would I probably see one in my neck of the woods so I was blown away to see one on CL within 2 hours of me! It was gorgeous too but it must have sold because I couldn't get the listing to pull up right. Soooo....I hope one of our vintage friends on here picked it up! Anyone get one in the past few weeks?

How far is this listing from you? Maybe you can get it!!

http://chambana.craigslist.org/atq/4791307676.html
Old 12-21-2014, 07:50 PM

You never know when or where a machine will pop up. It's been around a month ago but a National 2 spool in really nice condition showed up at my local goodwill. I posted about it here on the board hoping a member here would be able to get it. When I went back a few days later it had already been sold.

When you do find a 2 spool make sure the spool can (like a really big bobbin case) is with it. I know others here have said the spool cans are really pricey if you can find one at all.
Rodney
Old 12-21-2014, 08:12 PM

rodney what price did that goodwill have on it
Old 12-21-2014, 09:07 PM

It seems the Pacific West Coast gets all the most wonderful sewing machines and spinning wheels. I can't shake the feeling that there is a two spools in my near future though, I feel it in my bones! Yes, I'm curious too how much was that goodwill two spool?
Old 12-21-2014, 09:35 PM

out here 2 spools where around often would be just over 100$, I'm going back over the last 10 years. It's been a good 2 years since I've seen one for sale.

I ask about that goodwill, cause the small local one here has gotten way out of line on the machine pricing. I stopped even looking there,, because the last time I stop ( 1 yr ago) they had that standard pictured here. it was totally gray. SHE at the goodwill had cleaned the head and it was completely silvered.

when that lady first started working there we talked, I told her how to clean the graphics and why.. anyway she priced it at $99, it was a $20 machine, not kidding
Old 12-21-2014, 09:44 PM

oh spinning wheels, watch it on those, time after time, I people ask me to look at one. there not aware that in the early 70's reproduction spinning wheel where on every corner, today those repro's are weather aged dark wood, many show wear they come off almost like a 100 yr old wheel.. they'll look the same, but there not made from oak

it looks like all the cool SM's are in south Dakota
Old 12-21-2014, 10:46 PM

I don't know what the prices on the two spool machines run. I inherited one from my husband's great-grandmother, and it's complete, i.e., the cannister is there. I've seen those cannisters start out on ebay for $300! That's beyond my purse. I have the cannister in a container with a lid on it in my sewing desk! I have some work to do on the cabinet and on the head (shellac to protect the decals) Anyway, good luck on finding a two-spool!

Jeanette
Old 12-21-2014, 11:57 PM
Power Poster

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/atq/4798153850.html
Here is a cheap one...
Old 12-22-2014, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
oh spinning wheels, watch it on those, time after time, I people ask me to look at one. there not aware that in the early 70's reproduction spinning wheel where on every corner, today those repro's are weather aged dark wood, many show wear they come off almost like a 100 yr old wheel.. they'll look the same, but there not made from oak

it looks like all the cool SM's are in south Dakota
No worries, at a total of 3 I'm all set on spinning wheels. I got an Ashford Traditional at a fair price, I traded one of my Singer Featherweights 221 for an Ashford Joy so I can spin while on vacations. My favorite wheel which took me sometime to find is an Indian Valley Spinner by Thomas Ricci. Here is a pic- this isn't mine though, my wheel is a darker wood than the one pictured.

http://plainandpractical.typepad.com...119685e970b-pi