319 double needle, or?

Old 02-21-2014, 04:02 PM

Just saw this.

I don't think you can put two needles in the clamp. There's only a groove for a single shank whereas my 328k (which does double needle) has room for two.

I have an original 306 needle that is built for a 319, but I haven't had reason to use it. All word I have on it is they were discontinued a fair time ago so its new old stock or nothing.

I have toyed with the thoughts of trying a double needle in the 15x1 variety since my machine sews just fine with regular 15x1 needles.

Of note: double needles are listed as straight stich only and on the center position in my original owners manual for the 319. ZZ will hit the needle plate apparently...

Last edited by great white; 02-21-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:07 PM

GW,

Thanks for posting on this. I would love to try a double stitch when I do the quilting. I have a bunch of ZZ machines that can do ZZ with the twin needle, but their arches are not really big enough.

I've got to do some more in depth reading about using the twin needle, I "thought" it said you could do a ZZ as long as the stitch width was narrow. I'm could be wrong, I'll re-read it.

Joe
Old 02-21-2014, 04:28 PM

GW,

Per my 319 owners manual:

CAUTION-- Before stitching with Twin Needles be sure the needle position lever is set at central as shown in Fig. 22, page 23 and that the machine is operated at a bight not exceeding 3. Set bight limit screw X, Fig. 50, page 31 to lock the bight lever at the point desired but not to exceed 3.
So I guess you can do ZZ and patterns with it.

Joe
Old 02-24-2014, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
GW,

Per my 319 owners manual:

So I guess you can do ZZ and patterns with it.

Joe
Well there ya go. Memory seems to be fading for me at this age.

As long as you use the twin needle no wider than the original and don't exceed the "3" setting it seems you're good to go....
Old 02-24-2014, 06:32 AM

So, now I just keep searching for some of those 306x1 twin needles. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Joe
Old 12-23-2014, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Not heard of them, but GW in Canada is an engineer and would be very curious about this. Presumably he hasn't seen the post. I just acquired another 319(K), coincidentally. It was completely frozen, so I've been going through the book (technical service manual) from the Yahoo groups. So far fixed the needle height, hook timing, bight control (which was gummed up), wiring. Can't remember the last time I had this much fun
Manicmike, you're a braver soul than I... I've had to do a lot of cleaning and oiling inside and out of my 319, but I have not had the nerve to address that bight control. I don't have needles yet, so don't even know if timing, bight, etc. are OK. Did you completely disassemble the bight? Did you have any trouble with that one springy part that I was warned would fly across the room, never to be found again?
Old 12-23-2014, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by great white View Post
Just saw this.

I don't think you can put two needles in the clamp. There's only a groove for a single shank whereas my 328k (which does double needle) has room for two.
Yah, as the person who disassembled the needle clamp and found a teensy little "jib," I can testify that only one needle will fit. Haven't reached the point yet of putting the clamp back on, but any advice about how to get that little fiddly bit back in there would be much appreciated!
Old 12-23-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by great white View Post
Well there ya go. Memory seems to be fading for me at this age.

As long as you use the twin needle no wider than the original and don't exceed the "3" setting it seems you're good to go....
Greatwhite, are you the Canadian I read about on another list who bought a 319 and carried it home on a plane?
Old 12-23-2014, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ellpea View Post
Manicmike, you're a braver soul than I... I've had to do a lot of cleaning and oiling inside and out of my 319, but I have not had the nerve to address that bight control. I don't have needles yet, so don't even know if timing, bight, etc. are OK. Did you completely disassemble the bight? Did you have any trouble with that one springy part that I was warned would fly across the room, never to be found again?
If I wanted the machine to work it had to be done. Yes I disassembled it completely with the service manual nearby. Lining everything up afterwards was extremely difficult. Would have done much better by taking careful photographs before removal. The spring at the back did indeed fly across the room and I had a lot of trouble finding it, so be careful and don't lose it.

If you modify the bobbin case by removing the part the 15x1 hits (during zig-zag) you can use any common (15x1) needle.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
If you modify the bobbin case by removing the part the 15x1 hits (during zig-zag) you can use any common (15x1) needle.
I've read some very interesting stuff about this. Have you modified yours? My understanding was that the needle would hit during straight stitching as well. One person (a machinist, I think) modified a spare bobbin case and tried sewing with original case and specified needles, then compared to modified case with 15x1 needles. He insisted there was no difference in stitch quality. Plus it was not necessary to re-time the machine as some suggest. But the controversy runs high on this issue with dire warnings from both sides of the erm, bobbin.

I think I'm going to give it a try, using a spare bobbin case just to SEE for myself. If it worked we could also use standard twin needles.

But I won't disassemble that bight thing unless absolutely necessary... and won't know that until I try sewing with it. I just got some of the serger needles Miriam mentioned in another post so should know how it sews soon.