Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Update on lost quilt >

Update on lost quilt

Update on lost quilt

Old 01-06-2015, 03:29 PM

Default lost

Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
I posted to the thread, but in case you didn't see it, I thought I'd post it here as well since many asked me to update everyone if my lost quilt was found.

I received a letter from a Los Angeles post office that said "we found your label that had come lose from your package and it is enclosed". In the envelope was indeed my return label, the paper with the tracking number, etc. AND my original piece of box on which I had written the name and address of my niece and then, to make sure rain or snow didn't smear it, I taped two pieces of clear packing tape over it.

My question for the USPS is how does a name and address written on the box come lose. A label, sure that could happen but less likely if taped down. This was written with pen on the box and is neatly cut out along with my return label and the tracking label.

They ask me to describe the contents, etc. but it's obvious that someone must have opened the box and taken it. I am just heartbroken.

Nessie ;

" The LORD pays all his bills and HE doesn't use money " .
Old 01-06-2015, 03:55 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this...Was really hoping that you would be reporting the quilt found.

As a side note...when I am shipping a quilt, I never mention that it's a quilt...I always state that a friend and I are trading fabric scraps.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:08 PM

I am so, so sorry to read this. Kicking up a fuss with the post master and the local news station are good ideas to follow through on.

My DH laughs at the amount of tape I put on boxes: across the centers, X-ed across the centers, all the way around the box in at least four places, across any place where the box isn't attached to itself.

We send everything Priority Mail, weigh, and print the label at home. So more tape across the box, the return address part of the label, and back across the box on the other side. Repeat with the Name and Address part of the label. The only part you need to be sure not to put tape across is the bar code (the machines can't read through the tape).

Label "fall off"? I don't think so!

Oh! And I never write "Fragile" or list the contents of the box (if I have to, I put "Return of linens").

Roberta, I pray that somehow they find your quilt ..... maybe after a photo of it is seen on TV .....

Fear of loss is the main reason I still haven't sent PINKS & Fairies, the log cabin for my DGD, to the longarmer.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:27 PM

That's just horrible. I agree contract postmaster of district with pictures of the label!
Old 01-06-2015, 06:47 PM

The sad thing is, even if you insure it, the money doesn't begin to replace what goes into a quilt, even if it covers the materials, which it probably does not. Hope somehow it eventually can be found.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
If the package did get opened and the contents spilled out, the 'vital' parts of the box would be saved (address, etc.), as opposed to the entire box. Give the PO the description and MAYBE they'll find the quilt among the damage packages. Don't give up hope, just yet.
I agree. Definitely contact the PO with the description it could be sitting there waiting for your confirmation. Please let us know how you go with this. They wouldn't have asked for a description if there was no hope, would they?
Old 01-07-2015, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

And this is the same post office that is constantly requesting a raise in pay? What company do you know that sells a "service" but you have to buy additional insurance to make sure they do their job correctly? The main problem I have found with insurance is that you have to have proof of the cost of the merchandise shipped. How do you have proof of what a quilt costs?

Last edited by twinkie; 01-07-2015 at 03:51 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:09 AM

I mailed a baby afghan I crocheted plus baby pajamas and other baby items to my cousin's son and his wife in Nashville. We had it insured, which really doesn't make any difference because it wasn't the money, it was the time involved in making the afghan. The post office says it was delivered, the apartment complex has a locked area where packages go, but there was never an afghan delivered. AND the post office refuses to pay on the insurance because they swear it was delivered. I got screwed big time and so did the baby because I can't afford to go out and buy other gifts. Made me furious!
Old 01-07-2015, 05:51 AM

So sorry for the loss of your quilt. Giving the PO the benefit of the doubt - perhaps the box was destroyed and the label was salvageable. I can't imagine anyone jeopardizing such a good paying job to steal a quilt (Must have been an exceptionally beautiful quilt.)

I always put a label inside the box for shipping and also inside suitcases when traveling. From now on I will attach the inside label directly to whatever I'm sending.

Hope your quilt turns up!
Old 01-07-2015, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

My best friend sent a baby quilt using a USPS priority envelope. All that arrived to her niece was the label off the front of the package. When shipping, I always make sure I secure the label with glue and then tape the priority envelope so it won't open accidentally going thru the sort machines. I bought fabric from a seller on eBay and was shocked when there was a big slice in the envelope. Felt I was real lucky to have gotten my fabric.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	USPS Prio Envelope back.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	505048