Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using old fabric for charity quilts >

Using old fabric for charity quilts

Using old fabric for charity quilts

Old 01-11-2015, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by craftygater View Post
Also when storing fabric try using the vacuum bags. They are air tight and neither water or smells can get in. Then you can store them where ever you want without fear. I mean the storage bags that you vacuum out the air and seal them.
I have 10 of my quilts in these bags, did it as a storage solution. But when I get the quilts out for their rotation the smell is gagging. Those bags 'off-gas' and it impregnates fabric. I run the quilt in a hot dryer with a few dryer sheets and it seems to take care of it, but I am looking for some kind of storage/display cabinets. I can't wait to get my quilts out of that plastic.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:03 AM

Just a thought, if anyone cleans the fabric and it isn't quite right, maybe it could still be used to make pet beds for the local animal shelter.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:38 AM

So many great ideas! Thank you all so much! I will try ironing the fabric to see if the odor comes back. If so, I have numerous options to try thanks to you all! And if it doesn't work, I'll talk to the animal shelter. They must get much worse odors in there, and I'm sure the animals would appreciate something newer, at least.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
It's amazing how info on this board comes at the right time for me. Several days ago, I pulled out some fabric and it smelled musty. I was wondering what I was going to do with the fabric. I knew I didn't want to throw it out. I had thought about soaking it in Odoban, which I have but now, will think about using vinegar first.

I have a front load washer, which means I will be putting a washtub size container in the tub to pre-soak the fabric, before washing it in the washer. I do not normally pre-wash my fabric, but had realized that the odor of mustiness would bother me...I have all the allergies to mold, mildew, dust, etc....so know that I didn't want to take a chance of getting those spores in my lungs. I just don't want a six week case of bronchitis.

In fact, now that I think of it, I will probably put the tub out on my patio and soak the fabric outside. It will only be vinegar & water in the tub, so won't harm the ground when I dump it out. Then I'll bring the fabric inside and wash it with detergent with Oxyclean in it and more vinegar. There won't be any chemicals in that fabric when I get through! Oh, better mention, I am going to pink the edges before I do this so I don't have all those horrible strings to deal with.
Speaking of those 'strings', I saw a segment on tv that someone had accordian folded their fabric lengthwise (spreading out the fabric salvage to salvage), and pinned the salvage edges with 3 to 5 large safety pins before putting the fabric in the washer. I tried this with 2 four yard pieces (one flannel and one muslin) yesterday and IT WORKED----hardly any strings. Hope this might work for you and also the other QB members.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
While reading all the answers here I remembered reading on another site about getting smells out of bottles and food containers. People were saying to put scrunched up newspaper in them then put the lid on and leave them for a few days and all odors were gone.
I was thinking this may be a way to remove the odor from fabric. Place in a bucket with a lid or place in a plastic bag and tie the top. Worth a try. If it will remove odors from plastic containers and salsa bottles it should work for fabric.
The newspaper idea works great, but you have to change them intermittently. One summer, I put my fresh dug garden carrots in a camping cooler and FORGOT them. Oh, the smell inside that cooler was AWFUL. I bleached it, used vinegar, soda and all that stuff and NOTHING worked-----until someone suggested the newspapers. i scrunched them up and changed the papers daily and was surprised they soaked up any odor. We have since used that cooler many years later on a regular basis with no scent left behind. At the end of every canning season, I scrunch up a couple large sheets of newspaper and stuff them inside my pressure and water bath canners until the next canning season....that way the newspaper absorbs any moisture OR odors. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.

Last edited by sharin'Sharon; 01-11-2015 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

It might be that these fabrics are blends - and some of them smell "differet" when ironed.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

Honestly, I would NOT use fabric with an odor for dog beds or cat beds. Dogs have a sense of smell something on the order of 10,000 to 100,000 times stronger than humans. Cats are estimated to be about 14 times more sensitive to smells than humans. Even dogs and cats care about what they sleep on!

I still think the best use for fabric in which odor is not completely removed is rag rugs. They can be used outside as well as inside the house and still serve a purpose.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
So many great ideas! Thank you all so much! I will try ironing the fabric to see if the odor comes back. If so, I have numerous options to try thanks to you all! And if it doesn't work, I'll talk to the animal shelter. They must get much worse odors in there, and I'm sure the animals would appreciate something newer, at least.
The local shelter seems to be very appreciative of whatever they receive. So thanks for considering them in your area.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Honestly, I would NOT use fabric with an odor for dog beds or cat beds. Dogs have a sense of smell something on the order of 10,000 to 100,000 times stronger than humans. Cats are estimated to be about 14 times more sensitive to smells than humans. Even dogs and cats care about what they sleep on!

I still think the best use for fabric in which odor is not completely removed is rag rugs. They can be used outside as well as inside the house and still serve a purpose.
How about letting some csts and dogs sniff it and see how the react?

Dogs will roll in carrion - so - they might not care.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:31 PM

Stinky things at my house get a wash as normal, then a second wash with half a cup of baking soda. If it can deodorize the cat box, it will work on fabric. IMHO