Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gifting Quilts (Excluding Charity Quilts)/Questions >

Gifting Quilts (Excluding Charity Quilts)/Questions

Gifting Quilts (Excluding Charity Quilts)/Questions

Old 11-18-2017, 07:33 PM

Default Gifting Quilts (Excluding Charity Quilts)/Questions

Iona D. posted a question in which she inquired about how one chooses fabrics for projects, including quilts to be gifted vs. utilitarian ones, which brand fabrics are chosen, and where does one purchase said fabric. Certainly, it was an interesting question, and several, including myself, responded. It was, however, her statement that she no longer makes quilts as gifts because, given the time and expense involved, she felt her gifted quilts were not appreciated. First, I find that to be a sad thing that one who receives an item, any hand-made item, but especially a quilt -something that requires so much thought and effort, would be unappreciative. So thinking, I reflected upon how I go about gifting a quilt. First, each of my quilts are designed specifically for the individual -his/her interests, preferences, etc. as well as possible function. In short, each one is unique to the individual. The fabric chosen must represent the receiver's interests, tastes, etc., as should the design -a known pattern or one I've come up with myself. Certainly, I use quality fabric and thread. I only make lap quilt/throw sizes for adults (except for a queen-size Star Wars quilt I made for my adult grandson -he's an avid fan!). This "personalizing" of the quilt to be gifted creates that "Oh, wow..." response I've been fortunate to receive from those who have received a quilt from me. I have only been quilting for close to three years, so I don't have a "stash" of quilts to choose from whenever I see a reason or need to gift a quilt. I repeat, personalization is essential. The individuals to whom I've given quilts may very well never receive another; then again, circumstances change, so something may come up in the future that makes me think, "Oh, he/she would like really like..." Up until now, any quilts I've made that were not for a specific person I have donated to my church quilting group for distribution to the needy. I am, however, now actually saving some of these quilts; maybe one of them will be perfect for a spontaneous gift (such as the baby boy rag quilt I had on hand that I gave to my physical therapist who is pregnant with a boy; she's such a sweetheart and near delivery, and it seemed like a nice thing to do). Also, I've toyed with the idea of creating a "Hope Chest" of quilts/quilted items (don't know what they call them these days) for my granddaughter -or something to specifically pass on to her when my time upon this earth is over. It's a thought, anyway. Iona distinguished between, I guess, high-quality quilts and utilitarian ones and the hassles involved in storing those of higher quality. I guess I'm just too inexperienced as a quilter to differentiate -each is made as best I can, and I tend to use good quality fabric and thread - and each would be given equal care for storage purposes. So, I have a few questions:
(1) Do you give your quilts as gifts; if so, are they specific to the individual or do you use some other selection process? (2) Do you have a "stash" of quilts specifically for gifting? (3) What method(s) do you use for storing quilts?
Old 11-18-2017, 08:27 PM

Oh my dear, you are a person who quilts for and from the heart. After reading your post, I feel that you really do not need direction from any of us. You already instinctively know where, to whom, and when a quilt will be appreciated and should be given.

I also try to keep a small stash of baby tops for those times when a quick gift is needed. I have been trying to accumulate a stash of smaller giftable objects--runners, toppers, etc.--but somehow the stash never gets too big. Storing is anywhere dry and clean. I actually lay completed quilts on my spare bed (yes a real hassle if we get overnight guests--but sometimes a lovely way of gifting a quilt to a person who is worthy as they see me peel the quilts off their sleeping accommodation)

As far as 'being specific' with my gifts. Yes and no. If I am making a wedding quilt I have never asked the recipients for input, but have literally 'slept on it'--thinking about them and letting my mind roam. So far I have 'batted a thousand'. For our niece, the colours of her quilt were a 90% match to the colours of the hills and valleys surrounding her home. For the DD of a dear friend, I got chills as the groom's mother talked about his love of rainbows. How did I know?? I honestly just went with my gut.

But it all comes down to what fabric you can afford, how much input you want from the recipient and honestly what You want to create. Do you need to have someone else 'direct' your quilting? Or are your quilts more spontaneous and gifts of the moment? We all feel our way as we progress in this wonderful journey of cloth and thread. Never ever feel that you must follow someone else's path. Shoot--where's the fun in that!?!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-19-2017 at 04:30 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 11-18-2017, 09:28 PM

I agree with GingerK, the most important part is that you give with a full heart, and you seem to have found that path for yourself. It is a very personal thing, and we all have our own way.

For me, I find that when I set out to make a specific quilt for a specific person, it gets very difficult to stay motivated. I start to dread the process, I make more mistakes, it takes longer, and I start to dread the process.

So I generally only make quilts I enjoy and want for myself. But then, while I am working on a quilt, I often find my mind wandering to a certain person, and I will just know that is who it belongs to. On the rare occasions that I have finished a quilt and actually believe it might just be mine, someone will come along within a few days and "claim"it.

I never manage to keep a quilt long enough to build up a gift stash! In fact, I only actually have two quilts of my own, lol- a well-worn scrappy I have had for years, and one I just finished a few months ago and decided to keep because it just happens to match the color I painted my room.

As for storing, well, I haven't had to figure that one out yet! lol
Old 11-18-2017, 09:41 PM
Power Poster

Giving a gift quilt is always risky. You think they will love it, you think it's "them", but still they may not. I give it from the heart and if it stays in their closet I know I've failed to hit the mark. It's still worth the risk of giving. Even with my own children, I never totally know if my choice will "click" with them. But I try and sometimes it's a success and sometimes... less so.

I don't usually accumulate a stash of quilts, as I give quilts to charities often. That is the majority of my quilting.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:00 AM

Gifting to people you know can be risky as you have expectations of them. If you make something specifically for someone, you would like them to acknowledge that effort. However, if you give to charity, you might not have that expectation; it might be easier on the ego. I do both, and have been pleasantly surprised by the reception a gifted quilt has triggered. My cousin, for example, keeps a quilt I made her on her dining room table covered with a piece of plexiglass because she wants to see it all the time and show it off. Another keeps hers at the foot of her bed for the same reason. Over time, these instances far outweigh the ho hum receptions and make gifting worth while to me.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:35 AM

I know it is disappointing when a recipient of a gift quilt does not appreciate it. My take on it is that I enjoy the process of creating the quilt, give it with love/best wishes and never look back. I hope it will be loved and used, but if not, oh well---but that person will not get another one.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:23 AM

I have gifted to family members (have to be mailed) and in several circumstances, have not even received a "thank you" or notification that they got it. Insure them and ask for notification of delivery, so I know they were delivered. But, I will continue to gift if it's something I want to make for them. Many of you have said that once it is given away, it is not our worry what they do with them. Sadly, many of mine end up in the closet, neatly folded and Hopefuly fondly remembered. To counter balance those recipients who don't thank me, I also donate many quilts to Project Linus. If I'm not getting a "thank you", I'll just send to strangers. At least in my heart, I'm thinking they are appreciative! But, one thing to remember......please don't let unappreciative people ruin your joy and passion of quilting, sewing for others, and "giving".
Old 11-19-2017, 07:50 AM

My family & friends always love anything hand-made, so I really have no problems there. I have made my sister several items either designed for fun, quirky amusement to a large lap sized African Safari quilt which I made for them when I heard they may not be able to return to Africa. Her son asked for one of my quilts and I asked him his favorite color and 1 batt or 2. I made it a pictorial of his accomplishments from teen to present & he doesn't let it out of his sight. My youngest daughter just bought a new house last year & gets a big tree for her family. I made her a beautiful tree skirt to really show off her tree. She loves it as well as the horse panel which I made for myself originally, but gave to her because it was hard to hang in the one little spot I have to display my quilts. It was a much bigger panel than I'd expected. My older daughter loves snowmen, so I've made her some items with them. I've also made her a queen sized quilt in her favorite colors. One quilt I'd made was a free BOM & I hated the design as it was modern & I'm very old fashioned/traditional. I finished it, because it was a learning experience with many techniques & then I was going to burn it. My granddaughter saw it and begged me to finish it and give it to her...so I did! So some will surprise us over the years, but I find everyone to be very pleased with my quilts. The only one who gave me trouble was a cousin who wanted a King sized quilt for free. Very picky about colors & designs. I still have the quilt & we may be selling it sometime soon. People who know me, might give me a theme & let me choose the design. I just have fun with it and don't worry too much about it. My son likes outdoor hobbies, so I'm making him a quilt now about hunting/fishing with a picture of him on his motorcycle & perhaps a fish he'd personally caught. I'm sure he'll love it! Basically, I agree with Jeanne S as to enjoy making the quilts, give them with love & if they don't appreciate it, don't make them another.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:02 AM

I have sewn all my life, but just got into quilting a few years ago. First quilt class I took we made a disappearing 9 patch. Each student used their own fabrics from Christmas prints to mine with a 30's look. I was amazed at the diversity when these quilts were finished. But I had no use for mine. It sat in a closet and I went on to things that interested me. Then our minister's daughter had some major health issues and that quilt called me to the closet! I gave it to her and she was in tears. She is grown now, and still mentions it. Then I gave personalized quilts to my DIL's family members. Each one was special for the recipient. Music, golf, Elvis, etc. They were a hit! I recently gave a lovely quilt with bible verses to a couple for their wedding and I have never heard a word. I see them at family functions (DIL's family) but not a peep! They won't be getting ANY gifts from me EVER! I made custom designed quilts for my 4 grands, and they have been worn to death, so I made new ones. I gave a french braid to my daughter and she takes pics of it all the time to show me it is being used! I love making baby quilts for Linus and our local women's shelters, and QofValor so I stay busy. I have wrapped many a soldier with QofV quilts, and seen the appreciation there. I just love to sew and quilt, so I keep doing it. I have 1 quilt for me!
Old 11-19-2017, 09:47 AM

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words! I really, really do love quilting and enjoy being able to share quilting with others. I thought your idea of storing quilts by stacking them on the bed was an interesting one! I assure you that I am following no one's path but my own, but I am most definitely a willing student! The ladies in my quilting group tell me I have a really good eye for color and design coordination, but I think of it more as a need for things to be "balanced" artistically -and THAT may actually be limiting in terms of creativity. Because I have not been quilting long (three years), I am still learning how to do what many -perhaps most- of you take for granted. Thank goodness for YouTube videos -from them I've recently learned to make a log cabin quilt, a rail fence quilt, and a disappearing nine-patch. I think I love the learning of quilting as much as the actual creation of quilts. What fun!
Again, thank you for your comments!