Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do your quilt scraps say about you? >

What do your quilt scraps say about you?

What do your quilt scraps say about you?

Old 01-14-2015, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

My what an interesting thread. My scraps say that I like a LOT of color. There is a bit of everything in there, every color there is, although not much red. I tend toward Earth tones. All small prints and no solids. I love batiks, love buying them, but then have to force myself to cut. I like to just pet them for a while.

So I guess I am scrappy, quiet (the Earth tones) and not too boring.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:38 AM

Mine says I don't sew enough and I need to make about 2 dozen quilts to whittle them down a bit. It also says I love Moda florals.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:44 AM

It has been so entertaining reading this thread. Thanks so much for starting it!
Old 01-14-2015, 09:31 AM

As most of my quilts are gifts for others, my scraps just say I'm versatile and colorful. Of course with the colors in my home being in the blues and reds, I tend to gravitate towards them more but will be working on a quilt for my bed finally in the colors of lime green and rust colors. Another bedroom in purples and yellow so that should add some interest in my scrap stash. Have a friend that dove thru my scraps for yellows and pinks for a scrappy square quilt. I'm loving her combo as this is her 1st real quilt. Can't wait to quilt it for her. Think she's hooked too.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:10 AM

My scraps say that I love bright colors and modern fabrics. They also say that I've used a lot of blues and greens in my quilts, and that I have a surprisingly small amount of purple. Also that I have a love for orange that I never knew until I started quilting. The thing that's not surprising is that I have absolutely no brown fabric. All of my neutrals are black, white, and gray based.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

Mine says that I have far too many. There are years of styles of prints and colors. Some that were mine, some that were gifted to me by my late friend, mrs matlock, my late friend Kitty and my friends mother (who is also gone now.)
I am gifting it all to her this week and a bin of denim scraps. Funny you brought this up, I sorted out three bins and two garbage bags out for her yesterday.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 01-14-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

I am letting go of more of my scraps to stuff pet bedding for the local rescue center.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:22 PM

Mine say I'm obsessively organized.

All scraps too small to be cut into logs (1.5 x 1.5 ~ 1.5 x 2.5 ~ upwards to 1.5 x 9.5) become leaders/enders. Large pieces go back into their colour container. The logs are organized by size and light/dark = 18 reasonable size containers (they all fit into a giant container).

All my fabrics (except batiks) are folded into neat squares and in containers (approximately 12 x 24 x 8 deep) by colour with the wide fold on top. Makes shopping my stash easy.

Batiks are in three large containers. Mostly by when they were bought on sale at Kapaia Stitchery's sales. As I prewash, I pull more like colours out to wash together. Yes, I wash by colour, too.

So my scraps also say She loves batiks and bright colours!!!!!

Last edited by HouseDragon; 01-14-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:10 PM

My stash shows I like a variety of colors but tend to be drawn to blues and greens, I also see a void of large prints. More importantly it is indicating I need to get some scrappy projects underway.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:23 PM

Our scraps really tell our stories. I enjoyed the one who said few reflexes her choice but others she has made quilts for. Wow what a great legacy. Like many of you mine calls me to use them and even after using there is always plenty to share. Thanks for all the wonderful responses.