Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If You Thrift Wool for Wool Appliqué...? >

If You Thrift Wool for Wool Appliqué...?

If You Thrift Wool for Wool Appliqué...?

Old 01-11-2015, 11:58 AM

Default If You Thrift Wool for Wool Appliqué...?

...what do you do with your linings for things like Jackets? I bought two wool jackets today on the suggestion of some board members who said the most economical way to stock up on wool is to thrift it. Well I found a lot more wool today at the thrift shop than I expected! I'm hitting another tomorrow after my kiddos head off to school, but I'm thrilled to have something to start with. I thought I'd save the buttons for sure, but I really hate being so wasteful...do you pitch the lining? Also does anyone attempt to save the zippers in skirts or pants or do you just toss them?
Old 01-11-2015, 12:06 PM
ro
Banned

i save the buttons. discard everything else. and i make crazy quilt handbags from the wool. i have found the thrift stores here on li not reasonable at all. i paid $6 for a little mini skirt and i mean mini. and $12 for a white coat. i truthfully didnt think that reasonable for people who really need clothing and depend upon the thrift shops.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:37 PM

I save all the buttons, zippers, etc., the linings I usually donate to the thrift store, since they have quite a few people living here, who would be able to use it. Wow, ro, those are really outrageous prices, I got a whole truck load(almost) a couple years ago, at the above thrift store, for a $1.00 each, coats, sweaters, suits, etc.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:38 PM

Wow! Ro - I really think it depends on where you're located. Here in our small town that is really economically devastated...our thrift shops are pretty reasonable. They have their moments of outrageous pricing but as of late are getting a lot better. But I do notice, if you drive 35 minutes west of us towards Cleveland, Ohio...things that might be $4.89 in our local store are more like $10.98 at their stores. Now - because I'm stocking up I tried to buy everything on sale. We go about once or twice a week as I have three little kids and a baby on the way - so I'm always looking for inexpensive clothing. Our shop as two color tags on sale, today was pink and yellow - pink was 75% off and yellow is 50% off. So I tried to buy only pink and yellow tagged items unless there was something I REALLY loved and didn't want to take a chance of waiting on...but even if I love something, it has to be priced reasonable or I pass. I have to...or our weekly budget would be useless! LOL We are very thrifty in that regard...we joke our average is always $10-$15 per visit unless we are buying furniture! LOL Very rarely do we spend more than that...but like I said we go once a week or more for that way of shopping to work for us! LOL

Today I paid $2.45 for one jacket and $1.22 for the other...so I'd say for $4 I got quite a lot of wool! I only get two colors out of them...but I imagine in a few short weeks of shopping I'll stock up pretty quickly. I am planning to fill out the colors with some on line purchases...colors that I won't use larger quantities of. I'm so glad you all shared this great tip with me!
Old 01-11-2015, 04:01 PM
ro
Banned

even if i travel 1/2 hr to 1 hr away to an area that is economically devastated, the prices are the same, if not higher. i've found that with food and now gasoline. our price in my town is 2.29 per gallon of gasoline. in the other area it is 2.69. its really a shame.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by ro View Post
even if i travel 1/2 hr to 1 hr away to an area that is economically devastated, the prices are the same, if not higher. i've found that with food and now gasoline. our price in my town is 2.29 per gallon of gasoline. in the other area it is 2.69. its really a shame.
That sure is a shame! We just bought gas tonight for $1.79 a gallon! It hasn't been that low in...ten years or more! It's amazing really. Though the prices aren't too bad in this area - I will say the selection is limited. We don't get as much of the name brand and nicer clothing that other stores get. But so far - things are looking good in the wool area where I hear some other areas it is getting harder to find. I don't know if it's because wool is going out of fashion? Budget? I don't know but fingers crossed that I can continue to find it reasonably priced for a while! I will likely buy some wool online and in quilt shops too - but on a budget it sure is nice to have an affordable way to build up a stash!
Old 01-11-2015, 04:49 PM

...OH...and for anyone reading who was curious...I decided to save the linings. At least on the jackets I bought today...they are nice and might come in handy for making bags or small change purses.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:02 AM

Glad you found some good things, pumpkinpatch. I'm also amazed at the different locations across the country on gas prices, ours is $2.95 or $2.99.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:25 AM

Default Uses for coat linings.

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
...what do you do with your linings for things like Jackets? I bought two wool jackets today on the suggestion of some board members who said the most economical way to stock up on wool is to thrift it. Well I found a lot more wool today at the thrift shop than I expected! I'm hitting another tomorrow after my kiddos head off to school, but I'm thrilled to have something to start with. I thought I'd save the buttons for sure, but I really hate being so wasteful...do you pitch the lining? Also does anyone attempt to save the zippers in skirts or pants or do you just toss them?

The linings of old wool coats can be used for making doll clothes and lining of purses. I am sure that there are hundreds of ways to use it. I only save the lining if it is a very nice quality of fabric. I always save the buttons and sometimes the zippers if they are a very nice heavy zipper that I can use making handbags. Zippers can always be made smaller and some of the old zippers are so much better made then what we can get in the store now.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:19 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
Glad you found some good things, pumpkinpatch. I'm also amazed at the different locations across the country on gas prices, ours is $2.95 or $2.99.
Taxes have a lot to do with the price of the gallon...I am in the Chicagoland area of Illinois...talk about taxes!!