Old 01-13-2015, 03:25 AM
grandmahoney

Default Uses for coat linings.

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
...what do you do with your linings for things like Jackets? I bought two wool jackets today on the suggestion of some board members who said the most economical way to stock up on wool is to thrift it. Well I found a lot more wool today at the thrift shop than I expected! I'm hitting another tomorrow after my kiddos head off to school, but I'm thrilled to have something to start with. I thought I'd save the buttons for sure, but I really hate being so wasteful...do you pitch the lining? Also does anyone attempt to save the zippers in skirts or pants or do you just toss them?

The linings of old wool coats can be used for making doll clothes and lining of purses. I am sure that there are hundreds of ways to use it. I only save the lining if it is a very nice quality of fabric. I always save the buttons and sometimes the zippers if they are a very nice heavy zipper that I can use making handbags. Zippers can always be made smaller and some of the old zippers are so much better made then what we can get in the store now.