Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting group >

Quilting group

Quilting group

Old 02-24-2015, 10:10 AM

I was apart of a group of lovely ladies, but only two of the 6 of us actually quilted. We chose a fairly easy pattern and taught the other ladies how to cut and piece. They also learned how to press blocks. That first quilt was sent to a long armer and auctioned off to benefit the church where we met every week. The next quilt we did everyone pieced a block and we then taught them how to hand quilt. It didn't turn out perfectly, but it was still a nice quilt that was also auctioned. I really enjoyed the time I had with them.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:25 AM

I don't think I'd want to be one of two people responsible for putting the whole quilt together for the group. That's a lot of work, and I'm sure they don't yet realize how much of your time it would take. I'd have them do something like a placemat or mug rug first that they can hand or machine quilt. Giving them a list of supplies for them to get and bring to the first meeting is a fantastic idea. I had one lady come to a class I was teaching on making sweatshirt jackets with absolutely nothing!
Old 02-24-2015, 10:44 AM

Due to personal time constraints I have very little exposure to group quilting.

The two different groups that I was a part of for a short time, one was everybody bring your project on the specified day and each work independently while visiting with one another.

The other group was primarily non sewing folk but was focused on creating banners to be hung in various places around the church. The organizer had specific tasks that individuals could do - for instance, trace around appliqué pieces and cut them. Then others arranged and pinned them on the backing. Someone else had ironed the fusible beforehand. Seemed to work nicely. I think they did a different banner each meeting until they had all of them done. They were also going to do pieced charity quilts and one lady had the pieces cut ready to sew if anyone wanted to work on that.

For the group you are talking about, I can see how you could have the newbies first cut the squares (or strips) to be used, then choose the ones for each set, and teach them how to sew them together. That way they can be productive very quickly and learning at the same time. Also if they don't all have sewing machines, they can rotate tasks so each has a chance to do all parts of the process, and the experienced ones don't end up doing all the sewing. Yes you experienced ones do end up as teaching the 'class', but that's part of sharing the love of quilting.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:57 AM

I agree with the folks on this thread. Give your friends a supply list of what they need to purchase in order to get into quilting and they might run in the opposite direction. When I worked, I had numerous friends say they "wanted to learn how to quilt"......I spent one Saturday afternoon at work printing off instructions from various sites, collating them into the 5 sets for my friends, provided them the supply list and even told them where there were sales for fabric. Guess how many actually followed thru...........0! Then, I guess as the years went on, I continued to make baby quilts for their babies (boy they were a fertile bunch of women) and they again said "I want to learn how to quilt".......This time, I gave them a few web sites via e-mail and told them to check those out and let me know when they have all their supplies. Again.......0! So, my last attempt included 2 sisters who "wanted to learn how to quilt"...they had sewing machines and we actually went to the store and purchased their supplies.....This was going to work! They came to my house to learn the basics and then we all decided to take a class at our local quilt store. I knew I was in trouble when one of them showed up with the sewing machine in the original box and it was UNOPENED! Needless to say, I spent my class time working with her to read the users manual on how to thread the machine, how to load the bobbin, etc. Since then, they've moved to other companies and I've lost touch with them. I seriously suspect that they have NOT continued and are NOT interested! I've send numerous e-mails over the past 2 years and there has been no reply! I'd LOVE to see if they need help (I will help them) OR if they want to sell me all the wonderful kits and supplies they purchased. They went top of the line....ginger rotary cutter, rolling cabinet with wheels, etc.). Oh well, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink". Good luck with your ladies.....it is so enchanting to share your love of quilting with others (as long as they "get it"). Nora
Old 02-24-2015, 11:02 AM

Do the others have a sewing machine? If not DO NOT GET ENVOLVED! You will be doing all the sewing for them. If they don't sew at all, why would the join a quilting group? If they really want to learn this, give them a list for the project and put it to the point that they get a machine. The cheap ones at Wal-mart will be a good start. A 4 patch will be the best to start with. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like they have all read 'Little House on the Prairie' and want to have a quilting bee for the social aspect. I would do a whole cloth or have them purchase a top on ebay or etsy, and suggest that they start with something smaller than a queen.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:18 PM

My story is similar to "mike's girl". A group met at my house so those who did not start out with machines had access to one to use. We did a simple log cabin and each person did one row of blocks and sewed them together. They cut, sewed correctly, and pressed their blocks under my supervision. I then sewed all the rows together and LA quilted it. Auctioned off for charity. Only two of the ladies didn't continue to sew and quilt. The point is: you could be bringing some new quilters into the realm of quilting. However, if they don't want to try and do the work along with you then they probably aren't interested in a "quilting group". Give it a try would be my two cents worth.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:22 PM

From Manitoba, they have internet ideas to involve new members, with little knowledge called how to start a guild group.
Maybe I would have them invest in rotary cutter, small mat, and olfa ruler, cut 2.5 strips, each purchase a 1/2 yard and cut into 2.5 strips. Throw those strips in a brown paper bag. Offer 3-4 easy free patterns. They can only choose one.. Then, they take a number each of strips without looking what they take & make that pattern.. Have a show & tell.. Patterns might be rail fence, 9 patch, tumbler etc.. Just top made, then next mtg, comes the batting. Course 1/2 day classes.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:36 PM

I am very careful which groups I get involved with because usually I end up doing all the work.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:59 PM
Power Poster

I think I would ask a few more questions before commiting to this group.

Do they each want to have a queen size quilt?
Do they have any idea how much supplies cost? Or were they planning on using yours?

Where would you meet? Would this be a "doing/leaning" session? (For everyone - or just the sewers?