Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
House space and sewing area >

House space and sewing area

House space and sewing area

Old 02-24-2015, 10:47 PM

When we were looking for a house, and by we I mean my sister, her husband and their grandson, I said that I had to have one room just for sewing. So I claimed 2 bedrooms, the larger of the 2 is my sewing room. My mother always had her own space for sewing. The room I have gets great sunlight, but I do have 2 very nice OTT lights, one that shines over the sewing machine and the other is by the ironing board (in case I have to iron at night). There is a ceiling fan with 5 lights and I also have a small OTT light that I sometimes use in the evening, especially on the cutting table in the evening.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:10 PM

Kids gone we have two spare bedrooms, wasn't comfortable in larger room, put bed in and made a guest room and the small front room is my sewing room, small but light and airy, I have two tables, one for my Juki and the other for my Ruby, a cabinet stores fabric, built in cupboard has quilts and other stuff, I use an ikea butchers trolley with cutting mat, small but perfectly formed
Old 02-24-2015, 11:30 PM

I used to sew in the dining room as there wasn't enough room in my study for both. As soon as my youngest grandson got a nursery place 'bad Grandma' swapped their playroom with her study and made a dedicated sewing room. Loads of built in storage and clouds painted on the ceiling too!
Old 02-25-2015, 04:15 AM

wow, its so neat to hear where you all sew and how you've adapted spaces to fit your needs. Im thinking being comfortable is most important. Some of you mentioned 3200 and 4000 square feet, can't imagine how awesome all that space must be! I like the idea of the rolling butcher cart to cut and store stuff on, and then you can just roll it away!
Old 02-25-2015, 04:45 AM

I sew in our guest room. I have a huge table for the machines, a cutting/ironing table under the window, and 'found' items to store my stuff. There is also a Murphy bed. when we have guests, the big table slides to the side and everything stores under the two tables so the bed can come down and guests have room for their stuff.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:53 AM

Trene, sounds like you can tuck everything away, how perfect !
Old 02-25-2015, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

I am in a small 2 bedroom apt and my living room is my quilting studio and the 2nd bedroom is storage of my stash.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

All my stuff is in our basement now. But I got a lot more accomplished when I used the table end of our kitchen/dining room.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

My husband made me what I thought was a huge sewing room in our finished basement. I am now spilling out into the tv area. Not as big as I thought. He keeps saying "maybe i need to get rid of some of the stuff", I have to agree
I love being down there away frome everything and i can just walk away and leave things out where I am working . Love it.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:17 AM

Now that all the kids are gone, I have a 4 bedroom house and I use them all. The two downstairs that are orginal to the house are small, so I started off using the smallest one, the switched to the bigger one( a little bigger anyways) and now I'm into serging and since my sewing room has no extra room I started using the other bedroom for serging and extra fabric. The two upstairs bedrooms are bigger and one is my master the other is set up with 2 full size beds, a playpen and dressers, all for when my grandkids spend the night. They all have a place to sleep and lots of times two of my kids stay at the same time and love all being able to sleep in the same room. My sister may be moving down here in April so I told them they'll lose thier room for a while and they love that idea because that means they'll be sleeping with Gi-Gi again like they used to do before my daughter moved out. I'm hoping to get my sunroom finished the right way this summer then half of it will have all of my sewing stuff set up in it and then I can have a spare room downstairs. We all learn how to do things. I like not having to take my machine up and down and get less sewing done when I used to have to do that. I like it always up and ready, even if I'm not.