Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
House space and sewing area >

House space and sewing area

House space and sewing area

Old 02-25-2015, 05:26 AM

I used to sew in the basement but it felt like I was in a dungeon. So I moved my sewing room to one of our spare bedrooms and we put in laminate wood flooring so I could roll around( we have a 4 bedroom house all on the same floor). When my granddaughters moved to Colorado I took over the room they used to use for my cutting room and took all the boxes out of the closets and moved the onto the cutting room. I still store my fabric and books and batting in two rooms in the basement.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:53 AM

When I first started sewing, prior to kids, I used the kitchen table and we ate on the other half LOL When we had kids, I still used the table but had to pick up everything for dinnertime meals, a pain. Once the middle son left home I converted his bedroom into a sewing room/spare bedroom. The room was small 8.5 x 10 but installed cabinetry on one wall and shelving in the closet to accommodate my projects. Worked great except our two Goldens and my husband considered it a spare family room and all four of us were in the room TOGETHER, ugh. My husband would lay on the twin bed watching the TV and the dogs would lay behind my sewing chair so I was pinned in LOL. When we bought a retirement house I swore there would be no bed or TV in the sewing room. I now have the smallest of our two spare bedrooms exclusively, and also use the guest bedroom closet : ) My husband has his recliner in front of the TV in the great room (visible from my sewing room) or his workshop in the basement and so far, the new pups are gated OUT of the sewing room. They are only 9 months old and still pick up EVERYTHING off the floor, so it isn't safe for them yet. The room is small, approx. 10.5' x 11.5' but well organized. I started with our old dining room table (remember that table?) up on bed risers for a cutting/ironing table, but when I got my Tiara last year, my husband made a smaller table to utilize the space better. I have a design wall that retracts over the window, fat quarters in a compartment over the cutting table, notions hung on the wall, bookcases hold fabric and books etc. The more organized you are, the more you can store and FIND. Both closets have wire shelves installed (by me) in a "U" shape and hold more fabric/projects in clear totes that are labeled. Here are some pics:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]511515[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]511516[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]511517[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4288.JPG
Views:	410
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	511515   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4289.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	511516   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4290.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	511517  
Old 02-25-2015, 06:03 AM

Before I took my Mom's sewing machine last May, I would occasionally drag out my portable and sew. Once I had a cabinet machine and began quilting, I needed organization and space. We have no extra bedrooms, all our kids are still home, so hubby found me a space in the basement. I have my machine, some shelves for fabric and notions and a cutting table. I also have a dedicated FMQ machine in my dining room. It's in a beautiful square cabinet and when I'm not quilting, it's folded up with a vase on top.

Last edited by KenmoreGal2; 02-25-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:04 AM

When our son got married and moved out I took his room for my sewing room. I had some cabinets built on one wall. It has worked well now for 20 years. I would love more space but you make do with what is available.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:15 AM

After my husband passed away I took a second look at my 2000 sq. ft. house. Decided I didn't need two living rooms so I got rid of furniture in my family room since it was a lot bigger than the living room. adjoin my fam. room was a small dinette. I have a separate dining room so that was no longer needed either. I ripped up the carpet, my BIL put down laminate flooring for me. So now I have a huge sewing room. It's overly full though since I purchased a longarm. I also have 3 machines and a serger, two chests, a cutting table, two large sections of shelving plus numerous other items. When company comes my sewing area is out of the way and my mess can stay a mess. I love it.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:32 AM

My home is approx. 3000 sq ft, a log cabin my sons built for me. When choosing plans I made sure I would have a dedicated sewing room on the first floor. It is about 18 x 26. I also have a guest room that doubles as storage.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by bee3 View Post
Im sewing in my dining / kitchen area right now because the light is so good there, but i do have an empty bedroom i could set up in, just feel out of the way in there. I have a small house, 1300 sq feet but its plenty big enough, just not using the space as well as i probably should. How big isnyour house, and where do you sew?
We have about the same amount of space and I also sew in the kitchen/dining room and also because of the large amount of light. I am perfectly happy with my arrangement. I could also move everything to one of the bedrooms but then I would be away from all the activity and I would not be happy there.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:48 AM

love your sewing room EmiliasNana, so organized ! and it looks quite big in the pictures
Old 02-25-2015, 07:10 AM

When the kids were home, I started out in the basement. Once they moved, I took over a small bedroom. When my mom moved in, we converted a garage into her room, 16 x 24, with a full bathroom and a walk in closet. When she passed, this became my office/sewing room. I worked full time at home so had to have a quiet, dedicated space to do medical transcription. Once I retired, my daughter and granddaughter moved in. My "room" became the coat, shoes, hats, mittens, etc. room. It's so hard to keep their junk cleaned up, as they come into the room from the garage and just leave stuff here. They do hang up coats, but that's cutting into my closet space! They plan on moving (after 5 years!) in April, so I will have my room back. No more hats and mittens on my sewing table! No shoes and boots to trip over! No books and mail on my cutting table! Love them to death, but sure glad to get my space back! Of course, once they are gone, hubby and I thinking of getting a smaller place. Too much upkeep on this place, both inside and out. If we could just find a handy man to do outside stuff, but nobody wants to do anything anymore. Teenagers do a half a**ed job and want full pay. Our dear son comes when he can, but lives out of town and is very busy with his career. Love hearing about everyone's special sewing place!
Old 02-25-2015, 07:27 AM

I started sewing in a small house of less than 1,000sq ft down in Florida. I swore to myself that when I moved up to Iowa I would find a house where I could set up my sewing room with lots of room to move around in so I made it top ofmy priority list. I found a house with a basement that would do that trick..............I thought. It looked large enough but I didn't realize that when you have more room you tend to add to it because you have the room. I went from a 10 ft quilt frame to a 12 ft, all my machines are on individual tables and I've enlarged my cutting table twice since I got here. Went from a 3 x 4 to a 4 x 6 and now 4 x 8. Sure takes up room but I can still move around. I also added a design wall which I never had before too. Still have some dress fabrics in totes under the quilt frame but at least my quilting fabrics are out to be viewed. I tend to live in my basement most of the day as I have a full bathroom, mini kitchen, TV/DVD, PC and Ipod for listening purposes. Why leave if I don't have to?

When I was remodeling the house prior to moving in I made sure I had ample lighting and plenty of electrical sockets. I changed out the fuse box (yes, the kind you screw in) to a circuit breaker so I could have my machines on individual circuits so not to overload them. Also added a whole house surge protector plus each machine is on their own surge protector too. Can't be too careful when it comes to our toys.