Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
House space and sewing area >

House space and sewing area

House space and sewing area

Old 02-25-2015, 07:40 AM

When we finally had the house squared up (originally L-shaped; finally square with inside court), the original, railroad car shaped kitchen with a corner sink, corner windows (over the sink, natch), and 19 running feet of tile counter tops, back splashes, under cabinet lighting, and cabinets became my sewing room. The spot that used to be for the range is, complete with tile backsplash, the site of my double sewing center. The cabinet doors came off, no refrig. or dinette any more. That space is filled, floor to ceiling, with a substantial wood production of DH's. Don't know what to call it. There are shelves for bins close to the ceiling. Next layer down is a substantial book shelf for sewing/quilting books. There are two nooks at the lowest level: my grandmother's Singer 403 and my other grandmother's wonderful treadle reside there.

One of my favorite things about the kitchen/sewing room Frankenstein is all the electrical outlets. Also, I am one of the ones who is hooked on ease of use and re-use, bottom lines, and reconfiguration. This place does it all for me. And I can put hangers, etc. anywhere I want them. Sometimes it's like sewing in an inside out Christmas tree. Sorry, this set-up is ugly and usually messy; but, wow, does it work. And it's quiet.

May every one of us sew in a place that suits them and makes them happy.

Pat
Old 02-25-2015, 09:10 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SingerSewer View Post
The master bedroom is my sewing room. It is the largest bedroom. The smallest bedroom is mine for sleeping. I spend a whole lot more time in the sewing room than I do awake hours in the bedroom.
What a fantastic idea! I am trying to get my quilting and knitting into one room, my daughter's bedroom. I don't have enough room. Our house is 1,300 sq ft also, big enough for my husband and me. But the master bedroom is used only at night and I could use that large space. Wait until he comes home and I spring that on him. Will have to work on it a bit but it is a wonderful idea.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

While still living in our house, we finished 3/4 of the basement, making an office, a play room and a sewing room for me. Since the house was a split entry ranch, I had 4 windows, with lots of light. Then we moved my sewing room to my daughter's old bedroom so that we didn't have to heat 1/4 of the basement, and I did have a decent amount of light, plus I could leave my projects, shut the door and nobody had to see my cluttered sewing room. Now I have a portion of my bedroom for sewing, however, my sewing table faces a large window so there is plenty of light; just not a lot of space.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:27 AM

My sewing room was a dream come true for all sewing folks about 8 years ago when we had it custom built and brought in on a roll-back from the Amish in Clark Range; 16x35, if I remember right, it is about 40' from my back/deck door. Sometimes I have to MAKE myself go out there to work alone, but going out there with someone, I can get tons of piecing/quilting/sewing done.

That many years down the road, when I do occasionally post a pic, you can see what an unorganized wreck I am; shelves along the two long walls, plus long arm in front of them on one wall, and three sewing machines, my serger, ironing board and narrow shelves on the other, with just a bare minimum of space for walking down the middle. My cutting table, more shelves on one end, and a bunk-bed (queen size) and bathroom on the other. But, like you all are saying, it works for me, and when I get crazy and clean, it looks and works beautifully.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:44 AM

Mine is about the same size but I've taken over half the basement. I would prefer to be where I could look out the window, but...
Old 02-25-2015, 10:00 AM

Jean45, let us know how your husband likes that idea
Old 02-25-2015, 10:04 AM

I have the smallest bedroom to store fabric and supplies, and have taken over what most people would use as a family room as my sewing/computer space. I have turned it into a creative space by decorating with things I love. DH says the room is now too girly. He is wrong, it is just girly enough. Lol!
Old 02-25-2015, 10:08 AM

My sewing room is my guest bedroom, which has a Murphy Bed. Works well, except when guests come to visit, I need to disassemble the sewing room and crowd everything into my (non sewing space) bedroom. I could fix my basement and sew downstairs, but there aren't any windows there and I'm afraid I'd find it gloomy. I wasn't quilting when we planned on this house and so I didn't think to plan for a room for sewing.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:21 AM

My sewing room is the former formal dining room which we never used. This our "last house." We are not going to worry about reselling it nor whether or not some future buyer will like what we have done to it, so we are doing what we like. Love that it is closed with french doors, right off the kitchen and living room/sitting area. Can stay in the midst of everything but close my door when it gets too noisy.

Love getting older and not having to please everyone, even strangers we don't know!
Old 02-25-2015, 11:34 AM

I live in a townhouse 1700 sq ft. I use a laundry alcove in the garage, it's small but I can cram everything I need in it and it has 2 large windows and a fabulous view[ATTACH=CONFIG]511574[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sewing room.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	511574