Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
House space and sewing area >

House space and sewing area

House space and sewing area

Old 02-26-2015, 12:17 AM

Dresiarnaz, what is QAYG?
Old 02-26-2015, 04:45 AM

Our house is quite large but I keep buying weaving looms and my sewing room got pushed back into a nook that's maybe 5 x 8. with a 4 ft. knee wall on one side and banister for stair well on the other. It works since I quilt less than I weave. I have a great eco-system going since what fabrics I don't want for quilting can go into rag rugs or rag mats.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:52 AM

We have a small house too. I sew in a corner of the dining room...only place to eat other than the kitchen island. I turned Mom's bedroom when she passed away into my fabric room. Her bedroom walls are lined with bookcases and clear plastic containers (those huge containers from Walmart) with fabric. Works for me. Dh usually on his laptop sitting at the island and we have a tv between us. So we are together yet separate.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:56 AM

QAYG = Quilt as you go. My sewing area evolved from a spot in my bedroom when my future DH bought my very own sewing machine, then in the kitchen when we got married, the dining room in our first home and we had our two children, part of the master bedroom in the next home, our daughter's bedroom when she got married, the guest room in our current home, part of the unfinished basement and to finally a beautiful quilting studio in one half of the basement finished off a few years ago. It includes a man cave area for my DH who did the finishing off with a dear friend. We'll be married 50 years this summer,
Old 02-26-2015, 06:38 AM

I keep needing (and taking) more and more space! I used to sew on a table in the master bedroom. Then DH & I relocated and for nearly a year I was living in an apartment in the new town while he was still in our house in our old town, so I took advantage of my temporary bachelorette lifestyle and got a 2bd apartment with one room as a dedicated sewing room and I became hooked on having dedicated space and also hooked on quilting. We eventually bought a 1800 sq foot house and that's what we're in now. At first I had one of the spare bedrooms (10x10) as my sewing room but I rapidly outgrew that space. I couldn't convince DH to let me have the whole master bedroom (which is really oversized) but instead he let me take over the living room, which is about 14 x 16. We have a family room that is "his" room, and now the living room is "my" room! My upstairs room is now my art studio (I draw, paint & sculpt polyclay as well) which is a nice division and since those are my more messy projects it's good that they're all upstairs out of sight.

My living room sewing room is getting packed too though. I have my "big" quilting machine (Janome 6600) set up in an "L" with another table, plus a cabinet with an old Kenmore set up, plus another desk with my embroidery machine. Also a cutting table and another table I need to finish covering to make it my ironing surface. One wall is lined with IKEA "Billy" bookcases with doors and that does pretty well concealing my stash. Most of another wall is a big design wall, about 8 feet wide by higher than I can reach. I REALLY need to stop accumulating old machines though, almost every surface in that room is now covered with old machines. It's a little out of control! I need to either destash some fabric and make room for the machines in the cabinets, or let go of a few machines. I don't want to do either, though! I need to just hurry up and sew up about fifty quilts and make space in the cabinets that way, LOL.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:47 AM

I keep my quilting area in an "L" part of our finished basement. We have full windows all around as the basement is only three feet into the ground. It's very bright with natural light. My space is 12' by 14' and open to the den/Tv room so I don't feel isolated but I'm far enough away so my sewing machines don't bother anyone who might be watching television. The three walls are lined with Ikea Billy bookcases, so I've got more than enough storage. In the center, I have two sewing cabinets head to head and a Sew EZ table butting against them on the back side. In the bookcases, I also store my three Featherweights and my serger. I love how it helps me to stay organized and tidy as it's open to the living area. Company always is drawn to that end of the room. I think it's because of all my comic book board folding of materials and the "rainbow" effect of their layout. Yes, I'm a bit OCD about things like that!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:50 AM

It's short for Quilt As You Go
Old 02-26-2015, 07:53 AM

Love this thread! I live in a two-story condo, approximately 1,000 square feet. Like SingerSewer, my "master" bedroom (which was my mom's room until she passed away in 2012) is now my sewing room, and I sleep in the smaller bedroom (in which I also have a small office space).

I have tried numerous times/ways to move my sewing space downstairs, but it has never worked out well. I have an eat-in kitchen and a living room on the first floor, but the problem is closet/storage space; there just isn't enough to fit all of my sewing accoutrements, so I would have to constantly run up and down the stairs to get things. I do, however, keep my Featherweight downstairs so if the mood strikes (and it often does), I can sew while watching TV at night.

The master bedroom has plenty of space but my problem is lighting. No overhead lights and the two windows are down at one end of the room (it's long and narrow) and my sewing table only fits at the other end of the room. But I work it out.

Just recently I moved all of my knitting/crocheting stuff and yarn into a downstairs closet off the kitchen. So the upstairs room holds all of my sewing things, plus a closet full of stuff for scrapbooking.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:29 AM

I know, its so neat to hear where everyone sews and what everyones work space is like.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:54 PM

DH & I are thinking of moving closer to my Dad that is now 92 years old & two states over. We have a two story 4 bedroom large house. One bedroom on the main floor & three upstairs. We also have 11 lots of ground around us in a small farming community. I have most of the upstairs for my sewing, but have my main machine & lots of supplies on the main floor as it is getting to hard to go up & down the stairs. Only the smallest one for someone to sleep in. We really do want to downsize as this place is getting to much for us to take care of. We are thinking of getting an two bedroom house so no one can move in on us anymore. It seems we always have some one living with us as they all figure we have the room. Then want to do very little to help us out. Getting tired of that. Anyway, DH said if we got the biggest U-Haul possible to move us, 1/3 of it would be taken up with just my sewing stuff. LOL If we get a two bedroom house, don't know how I am going to manage that with all my sewing supplies & machines. If we get anything bigger, will be afraid the move in's will fallow us. What to do, what to do.