Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing straight 1/4 inch seams >

Sewing straight 1/4 inch seams

Sewing straight 1/4 inch seams

Old 03-22-2015, 09:54 AM

...slow down the speed.....and watch the edge of the fab...needle goes and down without you watching it...it's the fab that needs controlling.. I use shishkabob skewers, cut in half.....dull cut can be sharpened in pencil sharpener..if it hits the needle not as damaging as metal stelleto......just me
Old 03-23-2015, 12:48 AM

Hi Christine, welcome to the QB. Pick up a roll of "BLUE PAINTERS TAPE", this will become your friend. When I started quilting I placed a strip of BPT on my sewing table (next to the base of my sewing machine), then I placed another strip of BPT on my sewing machine (above the tape on the table going in the same direction). I used a tape measure to mark my lines on both tape strips in the same places. This made it easy to see inch and half inch (something I always wanted to know). Then I would take a LONG strip of BPT, place it going from the front of my sewing table up the front of my machine and across the top of my sewing arm and down the back side and onto the top of my sewing table. You are marking your 1/4 inch seam allowance. Doing this step takes a little time, but it is wonderful. It takes time, but you will have a straight line of sewing every time (because front and back has the same tape with the same seam allowance). This makes learning very easy and helps keep the frustration level down, and the BPT will NOT hurt your machine or sewing surface. Good luck and enjoy your new projects.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by barny View Post
Don't look at the needle. Just look where you are going. Keep it up. It will come as you practice. Don't get discouraged.
Best tip ever, also try chain piecing, sewing pieces one after the other will help as when you first start stitching you are inclined to wander just before you finish don't know why but we do!
Old 03-23-2015, 03:06 AM

Christine... all of these replies are wonderful advice...even yours from your mom!! Don't you love that all these quilting friends are so quick to help? I promise you, you have found a treasure trove of friends who are always ready to help you, often in a matter of minutes! I hope you keep practicing (as I do...still need more practice!!) and I especially hope that quilting becomes as enjoyable and fulfilling for you as it has for me.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:39 AM

Slow down your slowing speed to start with. Just before your material disappears under the foot, stop. Make sure everything is lined up correctly, then sew slowly, hold your material firmly andwatch the material edge, not your needle, as you finish sewing.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

Also make sure you keep the left side of the fabric straight, I follow the 1/4" mark on my machine.
My Juki TL98QE has a compensating foot, maybe a bit more than a 1/4" but it is consistent. It has a stationary bit of the foot that rides along the machine bed. If my quilt comes up a bit smaller than pattern calls for I make it up with borders.
I have tried all the above tips and this just makes it much easier and faster for me. I have been quilting about 45 - 46 years.
Hang in there, you will find something that works for you.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:28 AM

I had this problem when I first started, and it was very frustrating. It turns out the issue was in my cheap machine. You couldn't pay it to sew a straight seam. I tried a quilt teacher's Bernina, and I couldn't believe the difference. I bought a used Bernina, and haven't had the problem since. You might try a friend's machine to see if it solves your problem.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I keep a finger or three on the fabric gently guiding it as I go but have found that at the end of the piece I'm sewing, if I let the right side of my index finger glide gently up against the presser foot, it helps keep the fabric where it needs to be....straight under the presser foot.
This was my problem when I first began quilting. I am doing much better after a few years of practice. My solution was to do it this same way but I did measure a scant quarter inch with the ruler I use most frequently, put the needle on the ruler where I wanted the needle to sew and then put a Command strip butting up against the ruler. Works for me but does need to be replaced if you take it off too often. I need that little bit of "lip" it gives and then when I guide it with my index finger it stays in place.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Also make sure you keep the left side of the fabric straight, I follow the 1/4" mark on my machine.
My Juki TL98QE has a compensating foot, maybe a bit more than a 1/4" but it is consistent. It has a stationary bit of the foot that rides along the machine bed. If my quilt comes up a bit smaller than pattern calls for I make it up with borders.
I have tried all the above tips and this just makes it much easier and faster for me. I have been quilting about 45 - 46 years.
Hang in there, you will find something that works for you.
This is the foot that I use on my Juki also. Love it!
Old 03-23-2015, 07:33 AM

For a perfect scant 1/4th inch seam, I use a product called Q-tool sewing edge. They are re-positionable vinyl stops
that you 'bump' your fabric up to when sewing your seam. On my machine, you have to remove it to change bobbins.
But, after placing full bobbin into machine, to match my already sewn seam allowance, I place a sewn seam under the
presser foot, align the needle with the seam, then align the q-tool to the outside of the sewn fabric. This product makes
it so easy to do the dreaded scant 1/4th seam....I got mine at my local quilt store but the the product card gives the
an email address of www.aliciaattic.com. I'm sure if you Google Q-tools you'll find them. Makes my seam prefect all the time, and it saves me time (and worry) when it time to assemble the final quilt. They do lose the sticky that is on the back of them, but I just put double sided tape on them, works great. Used them for years and would not be quilting if I had not found this product. ( I do not work or I'm I affiliated with this product, just happy I found them)