Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing straight 1/4 inch seams >

Sewing straight 1/4 inch seams

Sewing straight 1/4 inch seams

Old 03-23-2015, 07:43 AM

Fabric always tends to move at the very end of a seam, you just have to be aware of that and go slowly and use a stiletto at the end of the seam
Old 03-23-2015, 08:04 AM

Someone posted this tip sometime back and I started using it and can't do without it. The Command damage free hanging strips are wonderful to put on the line you are using on your machine and butt your fabric to it and it works for me every time. It can be removed a reused over and over.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:12 AM

Yes! I've learned to find the exact spot on the front of my pressure foot at which to aim the seam or edge and never the needle. Especially great for SID. Also maybe a measured little mark at the desired end will help you to aim for.

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I've been quilting for a while and struggled with the skinny to fat to skinny 1/4'"seam. Recently I had an "AHA" moment. The sewing machine I use most of the time, has a "slow, medium, & fast speed". I love sewing fast but wasn't accurate. I decided to try the "medium". Wow! What a difference. I only watch the inside of my foot, never the needle.

I, also, did one other thing. I use a see through foot, that has plastic on the center and have moved my needle so that running the fabric under the right (harp) side edge of the foot, as I am sitting looking at the machine, produces a consistent 1/4" seam. It is the most accurate I have ever been.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:19 AM

I also use Jan's method with a 1/2" strip of the sticky end of 5 sheets held down on the machine with Scotch tape. I place the strip so the needle is a scant 1/4" from the edge of the sticky strip. Then I butt the edge of the fabric against the strip. I place on finger on the edge of the strip and can feel the fabrci butted against the edge.

When the bottom sheet of the strip gets' linty, I take it off and use only four. After that I replace the strip. I also use a stiletto to guide the fabric.

Last edited by janeknapp; 03-23-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:36 AM

I put painter's tape down so I'm guiding it straight to start with, before I get to the foot, and also learned to use my non-dominant foot on the pedal recently. I don't know if that is helping me keep it straight but it sure did help give my back and neck some relief. I think it straightens my spine up.

So ... I'm right-handed and use my left foot on the pedal.

I also use a stylus, the purple thang, to make sure the foot doesn't push the fabric to the left at the end of the seam when I can't see it well.

I am going to use a pad like Jan suggests for a more firm "bumper" though.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:47 AM

Jingle, What is a "compensating foot"? I just purchased a Juki machine in December. Someone on here mentioned the "compensating foot" previously, but I can't find anything with that term. Is your foot a walking/even foot?

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Also make sure you keep the left side of the fabric straight, I follow the 1/4" mark on my machine.
My Juki TL98QE has a compensating foot, maybe a bit more than a 1/4" but it is consistent. It has a stationary bit of the foot that rides along the machine bed. If my quilt comes up a bit smaller than pattern calls for I make it up with borders.
I have tried all the above tips and this just makes it much easier and faster for me. I have been quilting about 45 - 46 years.
Hang in there, you will find something that works for you.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:39 PM

Thanks again for the great replies! I just tried using the command hook sticky strip because I had it in the house and it is working well. I really like country/primitive type wall hangings and many have had some plaid fabric in them, so I am also going to back off of that right now because I am having a hard time making the plaid completely straight .....that combined with my seam issues and nothing looks straight when I am done with it. I was really pleased with my class quilt and enjoyed all the different blocks, so I think I will stick with simpler type things right now. My mom is going to teach me paper piecing this week, so that should be interesting :0). Thanks again!
Christine
Old 03-23-2015, 06:41 PM

When you place your fabric under your sewing foot. Make sure it is lined up on the edge of the fabric, exactly matching. Then you can adjust your needle position to 1/4 inch. Take a piece of blue painter's tape and place it up to the sewing foot smoothing out the back and front. This will help you to keep your fabric straight when gliding it through the sewing process. You can then adjust your fabric as it sews making sure not to go over the tape. I did this for my daughter and it helped her a lot. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:50 PM

Wow, Jan, that's brilliant!
When I was just starting out, I used masking tape, but it was just a visual aid; the fabric could move over it. That wouldn't happen with the raised notepad.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:06 AM

Excellent question and many great answers. Two things to add: you might check the pressure of your presser foot it may be too lite allowing your fabric to shift. When sewing down the seam and you get to the point that it is time to re-position your left hand stop the machine with the needle down, move your hand and begin sewing again.