Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What batting have you used that works well for baby quilts? >

What batting have you used that works well for baby quilts?

What batting have you used that works well for baby quilts?

Old 04-23-2015, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I use wool for all baby quilts. It's light and comfy.
I also love wool. It gives a wonderful stitches definition. I prefer babies wrapped in a 100% natural blanket so I stay away from polyester for them.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

I like to stick to natural fibers for baby quilts for two reasons, breath-ability and exposing the infant to less chemicals. Poly batting, while I love it for most quilts is made of chemicals and why expose little lungs to anything more than necessary. Fine once they are toddlers. Also, young infants can't easily kick off the covers if they get overheated so I like to stick with a fiber that will breath and avoid that if possible.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:22 AM

For my daughters and baby quilts I use Theramore batting. It is thinner but still warm. It washes really well and does not beard. I use warm and natural for my bed quilts. Luann
Old 04-23-2015, 09:59 AM

I use 100 bamboo in baby quilts
Old 04-23-2015, 10:05 AM

I have switched completely to Dream Green. It's soft, warm, quilts beautifully and dries quickly. I make mainly baby quilts and table runners. Used to use Hobbs poly down but I wouldn't go back!
Old 04-23-2015, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

The advantage of cotton batting for baby quilts is that it gets softer and softer with each washing. I used Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton batting in a baby quilt many years ago, and after more than 15 years of hard use it feels soft as a cloud to the touch! The binding is worn, but the quilt is soft enough to rub against a baby's cheek.

Cotton takes longer to dry than polyester batting. For this reason, I would use only a thin cotton batting in a baby quilt. I wouldn't use Warm and Natural because it is a thicker cotton batting that is needlepunched through scrim. The thickness means it will take longer in the dryer, and the scrim means it will take many more washings before it starts to soften up. The initial stiff drape of W&N is more obvious in a small baby quilt than in a bed size quilt.

The advantage of a polyester batting in a child's quilt (I like Hobbs PolyDown) is that it will dry very quickly. For this reason, polyester batting is sometimes requested for charity quilts that will be sent to children in other countries (where they do not have dryers).
Old 04-23-2015, 11:18 AM

I used to use light weight poly, until I saw a "fire" information video, poly MELTS, cotton doesn't melt and would take much longer before starting to burn. My son's family had a house fire. We never imagined it happening. NOW I USE 100% cotton, usually warm and white.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:50 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I never use poly for babies because it can make them too hot; and Warm and Natural is too stiff and heavy.
I use Hobbs 80/20 or 100% cotton and also sometimes use Quilters Dream cotton in Select loft.

Jan in VA
Old 04-23-2015, 12:51 PM

I use warm and natural on all my quilts, works great and I love how soft it is.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:56 PM

I love the Quilters Dream products but they are not available locally. I have bought the Pellon Natures Touch batting at Joann's and it is very drape able and cuddly soft after quilting. The price is great and it's nice to work with.