Why Can't Sewette Sew?

Old 06-04-2015, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I'm getting somewhere. Stitches on the left with the machine threaded up. Stitches on the right without threading through the tension piece and using my fingers as tension instead. I am pretty sure the tension piece is the problem. Now I just have to figure out why? I have tried adding a stitch finger without any change.
I agree that it probably has something to do with tension piece, since the stitches when you used tension with fingers. The tension piece looks similar to an early 15K with the exception of the numbered dial. It seems like the tension screw stud has a groove (or maybe more groves) for the check spring and the check spring end goes in the grove. I'm thinking that perhaps that maybe the check spring isn't in the correct position or broken. Something I read in the 15K manual (I think I got from singerco site) also says that shouldn't try to adjust the tension unless the presser foot is down. I know that there are at least a couple different check springs for class 15 tensions.

It seems like if there aren't any burrs in check spring or tension discs that it should sew like when your fingers were "THE TENSION" for the top thread. Maybe a picture with it threaded will help?! My 15K really needs to be put back together as it needed a new check spring and is currently "buried" so can't get pictures of it.

Janey Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 06-04-2015 at 04:52 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-04-2015, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
.....is there a pin that releases tension on the up ( or is it down ) stroke ?
You lost me on that....
Pin that releases tension during the needle stroke?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-04-2015, 05:11 AM

All good ideas guys and I appreciate the help! Sometimes when I am wracking my brain it's good to bounce some ideas around with friends. I'm still having my coffee this morning, but planning to trade out the tension part with another machine and see if that helps. I took it all apart last night and it had a groove inside the main pin where the sliding tension piece may have been catching. Crossing my fingers I can figure it out today!
Old 06-04-2015, 06:32 AM

Joey would have piped in yesterday but he was in the ER most of the afternoon.

First I'd take Greywuufs suggestion and go to to TFSR. { http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...machine_manual }. Use their instructions to completely go through that top tension to clean, adjust and make sure it all there in good condition.
There is more to it's adjustment that just twisting the knob.

As I looked at the pics one of the disks looked like it had a burr on it near the edge. So check them for wear, rust, pits or other defects.

Most clones are built so the hook to needle timing can't be adjusted. If it's out then something major is wrong with the machine.

Joe
Old 06-04-2015, 07:13 AM

Joe, UGH. Sorry to hear you were in emergency care. What happened? I hope everything is alright.

The only adjustment it has is to raise or lower the needlebar and that was off but I have it dialed in now. Thanks for the TSFR link. I will use that to check over the tension parts.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post

The only adjustment it has is to raise or lower the needlebar and that was off but I have it dialed in now. Thanks for the TSFR link. I will use that to check over the tension parts.
Not to doubt you , but since it has been adjusted, needle height does affect ( drastically ) how the stitch is formed. Are you SURE you got it correct ?
Old 06-04-2015, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
You lost me on that....
Pin that releases tension during the needle stroke?

CD in Oklahoma

Brain Fade... I had been spending to much time watching video and trying to piece together my walking foot machine..some of them release tension one foot movement....
Old 06-04-2015, 11:50 AM

Christy,

Went down with severe headaches and dizzies. Dr's did all sorts of text all of which were negative. The blood work showed a low potassium level and dehydration. Got some fluids and some potassium and seem to be getting better.

Just hope it doesn't return.

Joe
Old 06-04-2015, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
Not to doubt you , but since it has been adjusted, needle height does affect ( drastically ) how the stitch is formed. Are you SURE you got it correct ?
Yep! I am sure on that. I FINALLY have a working machine here! Man that was a booger. I had to trade out some parts and re-build the tension piece which took all day to come up with just the right parts. Once I got that right it started stitching just fine.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Christy,

Went down with severe headaches and dizzies. Dr's did all sorts of text all of which were negative. The blood work showed a low potassium level and dehydration. Got some fluids and some potassium and seem to be getting better.

Just hope it doesn't return.

Joe
Oh that's awful! I hate any dizziness or vertigo issues! I've had that a couple times in the last couple years and it seems to show up once the weather gets hot. Keep drinking lots of water! I hope you are feeling much better now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0759 (640 x 426).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	521543  

Last edited by Mrs. SewNSew; 06-04-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:39 PM

There's a fast tension test that I posted on youtube. That should help you get it in the ballpark should you have trouble like this again. I'd link to it but,... well you know. If you need the link, PM me. Otherwise, a search for my name should give you my channel.