Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I can leave my project out! >

I can leave my project out!

I can leave my project out!

Old 06-09-2015, 08:08 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Sounds like you are all set up now ..

I have a sewing room I just leave stuff in (well had to pick up for a year when I cat sat !LOL) but the dog comes in if she wants and not if she doesn't. The hubs will come in to see what I am working on (if he can't find me in the rest of the house!LOL) . But its nice to be able to just walk away and do something else and know it will be there when one comes back to it!
Old 06-09-2015, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

I can relate, as I dearly miss having my sewing room where I could leave everything out, so I can go back to the project and pick up where I left off. Granted the room did get somewhat messy at times, however, when the project was finished I would clean up so I was ready for the next project. Now my sewing area is part of my bedroom, since we downsized from a 3-bedroom home to a 2 bedroom apt., and I do get frustrated when I have to stop at the end of the day and pick up the project, which invariably means cleaning off the bed so that I can sleep in it. It's challenging at times working in a much smaller space, but you work with what you have, and I still get my projects done.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:47 AM

I felt the same way bearisgray. When I lost my last cat who loved to poke around in my projects, it was really nice not to worry about her finding a piece of thread, needle attached, or knocking down projects on the design wall. Yes, she did both but I do miss Spaz, a well deserved name that she had when I adopted her :-)
Old 06-09-2015, 11:58 AM

Yeah, that makes a big difference! My ironing board is and has been a permanent piece of furniture in my bedroom for the past few years! Since DH died, my bedroom is also my sewing room, so it pretty much stays a mess!
Old 06-09-2015, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Before we bought a bigger house I put my two girls in one bedroom so I'd have a sewing room in the third bedroom. DH had a shop attached to the garage so he had his room.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:18 PM

It's wonderful to be able to walk away knowing everything will be there just as you left it when you come back.

Our "tree" kitty, Mz Pushy, crossed the rainbow bridge recently: she'd watch me quilt up by the ceiling on top of a bookcase. Our remaining kitty, Spots Cat, is a "bush" cat. She has hiding spots all over the house. But since her colleague's passing, she curls up on my sewing table as my helper.

I keep thread/bobbins in zip bags with the project written on the outside; pins are in a glass dish with a cover when I'm not using them; needles are not accessible.

Do I mind if a cat sits or sleeps on a stack of FQs or the quilt in progress?

No! I wash my quilts when they are finished.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:28 PM

I used to have to put everything away for every meal, since the kitchen table was where I sewed. I hated it, after a while I only sewed when I absolutely had to. Then 15 years ago I bought a Horn cabinet and sewing was fun again. I can leave my quilting out and my machine set up.
There are no small children to get into everything and no cats. My 4 dogs are usually laying on the floor nearby, so they can be sure that I have plenty of "helpers". The puppy has finally learned that snacking out of my trash can will get him yelled at and put outside.
Sharon in Texas
Old 06-10-2015, 03:32 AM

No cats? I can't be without my fur babies!! My quilt studio is in a part of the finished basement that is visually open to the family room, so I always make effort to keep it tidy. I'll spend all day cutting out projects, then no mess until next cutting session. I think there's nothing more beautiful than a quilt in progress. The openness of the area invites visitors to "browse" my space. I really don't mind that.

Last edited by Debbie C; 06-10-2015 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:24 AM

Congrats bearisgray. It is fun to be able to close the door and walk away. Hurray for you
Old 06-10-2015, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

I can shut my door but, I have a Baby Gate up so I don't have to close the door when I'm in there. My little dog Dusty chews a stick while I sew, cut or piece. I do have to keep everything off the floor or he will eat it.
My cats are not allowed in the room.