Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about top of the line machines purchased in last five years - >

Questions about top of the line machines purchased in last five years -

Questions about top of the line machines purchased in last five years -

Old 06-17-2015, 03:21 PM

I love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold. No problems, and I use as many of the features I can find.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:18 PM

I have an Elna Quilt Pro Queen--bought in 2011. Yes, would buy again. Only been in for cleaning. Did replace the 1/4" foot this Spring as the old one had developed a "wiggle". I've FMQ a bedsize quilt before I got a long arm--did fine. Has a million stitchs although I don't use them often. I do have other machines--a treadle, a lightwt. Singer that was my Mom's that I don't use much, an incredibly heavy Deluxe from the 50's--always needs work,it seems, and my travel machine, a Singer H74--computerized, light wt and very finicky about how the bobbin is loaded (my DD has same machine and has same problem--would not buy again) My Elna is not finicky about thead
Old 06-17-2015, 05:43 PM

Pfaff Performance 5.0

If you had to do it over again - would you? No.

Has it been reliable? Absolutely NO.

Has it been picky about threads?
Hard to say. I did try several different threads, even Aurifil. I was told to use the same color thread in the bobbin as the color of the fabric on the back of my quilts to hide the poor straight stitch quality. I kid you not.

Have you had it in for repairs and/or adjustments more than a couple of times?
I bought it in early December. It went into the shop in February for the poor straight stitch. I got it back and had to take it in again the first week of March - where it stayed. I finally got a brand new replacement machine last week.

Would you still keep back-up machines?
I have several and 3 are Pfaffs. Made in Germany Pfaffs. I won't part with them, but would have no problem parting with the 5.0.

This purchase was a big deal for me. I have never bought something so expensive for myself and to have it be so disappointing kind of soured me on the machine. I am afraid to use it for fear something will go wrong with the new one.

Last edited by Mitch's mom; 06-17-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:59 PM
dms

I have a Viking Diamond Deluxe and love it. I would do it again in a heartbeat. It's very reliable and I love embroidering. I'm doing the Jacobean Journey right now and very much enjoy it. It also is a workhorse as far as sewing goes. It sews through anything and is just a wonderful machine with all kinds of bells and whistles.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:15 PM

Janome 15000

If you had to do it over again - would you? Absolutely -so many bells and whistles I would have never imagined.

Has it been reliable? Yes -I've had it over a year it has been great.

Has it been picky about threads? No - I use many, many different kinds and have no issues.

Have you had it in for repairs and/or adjustments more than a couple of times? No

Would you still keep back-up machines? Yes I have one for classes

I recently used it to quilt a king size quilt with the embroidery unit. Here is the quilt:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/rainbow-fan-t264738.html

and here is a picture close up of the embroidery [ATTACH=CONFIG]522688[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	522688  
Old 06-17-2015, 07:45 PM

Kept my HV Designer 1 as a back-up machine. Have a HV Designer Diamond. Love them both for sewing, quilting and embroidery. Best thing I ever did when I bought them.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:23 PM

Love my Babylock Unity and Elizabeth! Yes I would absolutely buy them again!
Old 06-17-2015, 10:10 PM

Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2, bought it September 2014. I would buy it again, love my machine. Its in the shop right now, the low bobbin sensor wasn't working and not making pretty straight stitches either.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:54 AM

I purchased a Babylock Esante (6x10 hoop) approx 4 years ago after deciding that my Brother SE400's 4x4 hoop size was not going to satisfy me. I love my machine. I can use any thread out there, even Metro Embroidery thread. I have not been able to sew very much recently so am just now coming due for a cleaning. But no problems at all with the machine. I purchased a Babylock Melody earlier this year just as they were being discontinued. I love it as well. I seem to have all the sewing features that I use from my Esante. In hindsight, I wish I had purchased the Melody first since I have not done enough embroidery to warrant the expense of my Esante, but the embroidery is nice when I want to add a little extra to something and I might have been less likely to ever buy an embroidery unit that sews while having a great sewing machine already. Having both machines, my goal (when i have enough space to have both machines set up at the same time) is to use the Melody as my sewing and the Esante as embroidery only. Having two machines, they act as each other's back up.

On a note, I upgraded from a $60 walmart brother machine that my mother gave me back in 1999. I was amazed at the pure joy a good machine gave me the first time I sewed on my Babylock. I would never have bought into the idea that the experience could be that drastically different, but I can now say I'm a believer.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:21 AM

Traded my Janome 11000 for the 12000 and I hated it. Finally traded up to the 15000 and it is wonderful. The embroidery is so nice and the machine sews like a dream. I will keep this one for the rest of my life.
Still have a small Janome for backup and classes.