Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about top of the line machines purchased in last five years - >

Questions about top of the line machines purchased in last five years -

Questions about top of the line machines purchased in last five years -

Old 06-16-2015, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Default Questions about top of the line machines purchased in last five years -

If you had to do it over again - would you?

Has it been reliable?

Has it been picky about threads?

Have you had it in for repairs and/or adjustments more than a couple of times?

Would you still keep back-up machines?
Old 06-16-2015, 10:29 AM

Janome 12000.
No I wouldn't do it.
Doesn't do what it was advertised to to as far as quilting with the embroidery module.
Too much money. Wouldn't get an embroidery machine again. But sort of stuck with it now.
Haven't had it in, but probably should. No dealer close by.
It hasn't broken down, but it isn't a great machine. Doesn't sew a very nice line of stitching. Sort of wobbly looking.
Nothing intuitive about it. The manual is awful.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:25 AM

Janome 12000

Yes absolutely I would.
Quality of the embroidery is excellent. I have used it for quilting and I found it relatively easy though My preference is free motion. I'm not the most experienced of sewers but I find this a great machine, quite intuitive with lovely stitching. Only down side is not being able to sew while its embroidering but great for anyone with limited space.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

Sorry, I am still sewing on my Bernina 1530. I am SHOCKED at the prices of newer DSM. Just not in my budget to upgrade.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:09 PM

I purchased a top of the line for a non embroidery sewing machine. It is the Janome 8900. Love it, I think it is worth the money. So easy to FMQ on it. Would do it again. I had a top the line embroidery machine years ago, which I paid double the money. I would never do that again. 8900 is not picky about the thread. No repairs, I have a small light weight Janome for a back up and any classes I might take.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by dflynn View Post
I purchased a top of the line for a non embroidery sewing machine. It is the Janome 8900. Love it, I think it is worth the money. So easy to FMQ on it. Would do it again. I had a top the line embroidery machine years ago, which I paid double the money. I would never do that again. 8900 is not picky about the thread. No repairs, I have a small light weight Janome for a back up and any classes I might take.
i agree with the above
comment. I've had my Janome 8900 for a year. Love everything about it
Old 06-16-2015, 01:14 PM

Have a Brother Quattro, absolutely would buy it again. Easy to use, does everything I want it to and Brother keeps making updates and improvements available. When one can do a 12 x 12 hoop, I'll buy another.... if I can afford it. Has only been in for maintenance, every 2 years or so....
Old 06-16-2015, 01:43 PM

Well, I'm lucky in that I had both the Janome 12000 and the Janome 8900. I love them both. Have had no trouble with either. I have no intention of trading either for a newer model. And, if I had it to do over again, I'd get this set again. The pressure feet and attachments are interchangeable which I love.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:47 PM

Babylock ellure plus. Was a weak moment purchase.......returned a Brother for this.....should have kept the Bro......still like my old Viking plus 1 much better.....will buy another Viking next!
Old 06-16-2015, 01:51 PM

I have a 2 year old Babylock Crescendo. No, I wouldnt do it again. I like the big harp space. I have used the laser light some but never the sensor. I had to take it in for cleaning 6 months after I had it cleaned. The upper thread area was packed full of lint and there is no way to clean it out at home even with a pipe cleaner. I like to quilt with star thread or connecting thread. I need to expect to have it cleaned more frequently if I continue to use those threads. I didn't want and stll don't want an embroidery machine