Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about top of the line machines purchased in last five years - >

Questions about top of the line machines purchased in last five years -

Questions about top of the line machines purchased in last five years -

Old 04-08-2016, 09:07 AM

I have a Husquvarna Diamond embroidery machine. Top of their line. The only thing that is better about it compared to their smaller units is the larger size. I find the brand is solid, so I am comfortable with it. And to be honest, my husband loves his Husquvarna chainsaw, so that "may" have swung him on board. Would I do it again?....probably not, as I don't use the largest size possible as much as I thought I would. I'd be okay with something smaller. I have had to take it in for rpr, and it came back fine
Old 04-08-2016, 09:49 AM

I recently purchased a Bernina 580. No, I wouldn't do it again. I do a lot of machine embroidery with this machine.

It's pinicky about threads. The way it is designed, it is easy to get thread caught up in the thread uptake bar. You have to take the machine cover off of the machine to get the thread out. It must be a common problem as they have the topic on getting the threads caught in there out in the manual. Mine had to go in for repairs the first week I had it. The thread can get caught inside the bobbin case. The thread sensors tell me I'm out of thread or broken thread messages when the thread is not broken or I still have a ton of thread on the bobbin or top thread. So it constantly stops sewing.

The thing that actually drives me buggy is that you have to go through several screens to get to the function you want.

My Bernina 180 is fantastic.

My Bernina 1090 alsos fantastic and is the one I use for patchwork and quilting and is still going strong after too many years to count.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
What kind of quilting have you done with the embroidery module? Maybe I'm missing out on something. I do a lot of donation quilts and was looking for that overall meander to be much more open. It is way too dense. I agree it does beautiful embroidery work and some really nice patterns you can quilt blocks with.
I do find the stitch seams to be a little wiggly. Is that true with yours?
I never use it as an embroidery machine. I haven't found anything I wanted to embroider a design on. Towels? Nah.

I use use the foot which has a wee edge on it (can't remember the letter on it) and it ensures a perfectly straight seam. Have you tried embroidery yet? One of the things I do for creating fairly unique embroidery/quilting designs is to download a clear black and white image and get the software to translate it into an embroidery design. This works really well though doesn't work with numbers and letters if looking for a perfect mirror image on the reverse of a quilt.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

When the Baby Lock Crescendo came out I was convinced that I HAD to have the laser and the digitizer pen. BUT I already had the Baby Lock Espire and couldn't justify the price difference. So I set a price of what it was worth to me and IF I were to find the Crescendo somewhere for THAT price, I would get it. One day in Reno .....luck was on my side and I got the machine for the price I set.

She has some nice features but the ones I thought I just HAD TO HAVE - - - don't really use them. lol

Would I buy it again? Probably. There is nothing wrong with the machine or stitch quality and she runs like a work horse. She is also reliable.

Both Baby Lock machines WILL NOT run with regular C&C Dual Duty but they will work with Star and Connecting Threads. (Those are what I use also).

The large harp makes quilting a breeze. So I guess it was a WIN-WIN for me.

She weighs about 50 pounds so having a lighter back-up machine is great for classes.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:02 PM

Bernina 880

Love the integrated walking foot.

Great support from my store for classes. Service dept offers yearly clean and update with perks offered in fabric discounts etc to make it worth our while.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:11 PM

I have the top of the line Viking, I love it ! It is the Epic ,it has built in tablet and WiFi. I am glad I bought it but it is a lot to learn. New to embroidery and didn't realize how expensive that is to do. I really could have done without learning a new hobby, even how additive it can be. Just make sure to go where you can take classes.