Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about top of the line machines purchased in last five years - >

Questions about top of the line machines purchased in last five years -

Questions about top of the line machines purchased in last five years -

Old 06-18-2015, 01:45 PM

I bought the Brother Dream Machine in November and I love it. It sews beautifully, embroiders beautifully and does lots of things I'm still learning about. So yes I would buy it again.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for your thoughtful and complete responses.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:03 PM

Brother VQ3000 (sewing/quilting, no embroidery)
YES! Would buy it again.
Very reliable; no problems noted with threads (thick, thin, cheap, expensive, monofilament, cotton, blend, polyester, rayon...)
In 3 years, had one problem with the automatic needle threader which the dealer fixed in 5 minutes for $12.
Also had it cleaned once--free service that came with the purchase.

If I had my old 1976 Singer still, I'd have kept it. But I traded that in on a Viking Rose in 2001--a great machine until its touch panel started going bad. Thus, the Brother. I wanted a new Viking...until I found out the build quality has changed drastically since my 2001 purchase.

Purposely bought the VQ3000 because I didn't want to spend the extra for embroidery--the Rose embroidered, but it was much more trouble than it was worth, for that price. Instead, this time I also bought a $600 Brother Designio (without Disney) for embroidery.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Reba'squilts View Post
Would buy my diamond again in a heartbeat. If anything ever is wrong....it is operator...not machine. Love it!
Ditto here! My first one was the Husqvarna Designer Diamond Deluxe, which I traded in for the Designer Diamond Deluxe Royale. Love that wonderful machine.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:11 PM

I also have this machine and I love it, it IS reliable, have had it serviced (cleaned) since I have had it since it came out. It is a wonderful machine and is also has a warranty . My recommendation is to work with your dealer on getting all issues taken care of, whether it be adjustments or parts replaced. If not, they should replace this machine for you. I took a "new owner's class" in another town, different dealer than dealer where I bought mine. I had to pay for the class since didn't purchase there, but it was well worth it. It is one amazing machine with many features you don't realize it has. OK, I just reread your post and you did get it replaced. So now go sew! Do not be afraid. Just because you got a "one in a ?" lemon doesn't mean all Pfaff Performance 5.0 are bad machines. Not fair to judge your new replacement machine by your lemon machine.

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
Pfaff Performance 5.0

If you had to do it over again - would you? No.

Has it been reliable? Absolutely NO.

Has it been picky about threads?
Hard to say. I did try several different threads, even Aurifil. I was told to use the same color thread in the bobbin as the color of the fabric on the back of my quilts to hide the poor straight stitch quality. I kid you not.

Have you had it in for repairs and/or adjustments more than a couple of times?
I bought it in early December. It went into the shop in February for the poor straight stitch. I got it back and had to take it in again the first week of March - where it stayed. I finally got a brand new replacement machine last week.

Would you still keep back-up machines?
I have several and 3 are Pfaffs. Made in Germany Pfaffs. I won't part with them, but would have no problem parting with the 5.0.

This purchase was a big deal for me. I have never bought something so expensive for myself and to have it be so disappointing kind of soured me on the machine. I am afraid to use it for fear something will go wrong with the new one.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
What kind of quilting have you done with the embroidery module? Maybe I'm missing out on something. I do a lot of donation quilts and was looking for that overall meander to be much more open. It is way too dense. I agree it does beautiful embroidery work and some really nice patterns you can quilt blocks with.
I do find the stitch seams to be a little wiggly. Is that true with yours?
I never use it as an embroidery machine. I haven't found anything I wanted to embroider a design on. Towels? Nah.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]522878[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]522876[/ATTACH]
I did these on the 12000.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 06-20-2015, 08:32 AM

My "top of the line" purchase was my Bernina 820 in 2011. It's been completely trouble/hassle-free and fabulous. NOT thread picky, touchy, or fussy at all, using threads from 12wt to 100wt in cotton, poly, and silk, and fabric from chiffon to heavy denim, knits, and of course lots of batiks and quilting cottons. Absolutely reliable, never been in the shop.

Would I do it again? My only hesitation is that I'm still no good at FMQ-not the fault of the machine, a lack of talent and practice on my part. I love my 820 for all kinds of sewing: piecing, quilting with the walking foot, garment sewing, basic home dec, mending, and FMQ (the stitch quality is great, I just can't make nice lines). But I really can't justify the cost, since I'm still not managing to quilt all my own tops. I do love it however, it's just more luxurious than my current quilting and sewing merits. On the other hand, I can hope to grow into it, that one day I'll FMQ well enough to need all that harp space. I would be very disinclined to sell it, even though it's more than I need by far.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:50 AM

To add, I do have other machines. A Bernina 630 and older/mechanical Bernina 1030 are my favorites along with my 820. Same high quality, reliability, and ease/pleasure of use. The 1030 is quite basic, the 630 is very similar, but doesn't have the 9mm wide deco stitches, dual feed, jumbo bobbin, and 12" harp of the 820.

My machine that's the best value for the comparatively low price is my Baby Lock Quest Plus. 8mm stitches, dual feed identical to IDT (it takes Pfaff feet and had a Pfaff equivalent model, the Smarter C1100 Pro), hundreds of stitches, 9" harp, came with the straight stitch plate and a huge acrylic extension table. Only $1300 in 2010. Unfortunately, Baby Lock no longer has a similar model.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:00 AM

Viking, the Ruby then the Diamond Deluxe, so very happy with them both. So happy that I upgraded for additional features to the Diamond. Its been over 5 years with no problems, that weren't caused by me. Then I had the dah moment and figures out what I was doing wrong.

If I could buy another machine right now, I'd love to try the Destiny, with the scanning feature I could take my emb to new heights. I have so many feet and hoops for my Diamond that I wouldn't want to give them up. Maybe, eventually I'll be able to have both.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:50 AM

I have inherited my Mom's Viking Ruby... I know if she had it to do over she never would have purchased this machine. The instructions she received was insufficient to really get her to use the features of this machine. It was way more machine that she could handle or needed. Unfortunately since the machine is now in my home and the local dealer is not wanting to get me up to speed on it , since it was not purchased at their shop.... I will sell it or trade it in. These high end machines really require hands on training and more than just a 30 minute "orientation", that is more like a selling tool than real operational instruction. Additionally packing up this machine to take it for lessons on how to operate is not as simple/fast task.