Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about top of the line machines purchased in last five years - >

Questions about top of the line machines purchased in last five years -

Questions about top of the line machines purchased in last five years -

Old 06-18-2015, 03:21 AM

Hi, berisgray
Designer Diamond
Yes, reliable
I use good thread, I had problems long time ago using cheap thread and I learned.
No, repairs yet or adjustments (I take very care of my machines)
I actually have 2 cheap singer machines that I use for retreat classes
Old 06-18-2015, 03:40 AM

Janome 6600 , Janome 15000. Yes I would buy both again. I own 5 Janome machines and haven't had trouble with any of them. Couple of small adjustments on the 15000 is all.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:27 AM

no way!!! Bernina 830. I haven't had any problems with it...so far. I really haven't sewed on it that much. It will be 2 years old next month...or maybe 3..not sure. It's really complicated and I Just don't have the ambiition to really learn all there is about it. No if I had to do it over again I'd keep what I had. I was using a Baby Lock quilter's edition that was 8 or 9 years old and my vintage machines. I love my vintage the most. Most of them are just straight stitching and really that's mainly all I care about doing. Oh I do have the embroidery with the Bernina. My oldest granddaughter uses it!! LOL
Old 06-18-2015, 05:37 AM

Babylock Destiny Yes Yes Yes
Old 06-18-2015, 06:46 AM

My "big" machine is my Janome 6600. I love that machine. I've only had it about 3 years now so I can't speak to its long-term reliability but so far it's been 100% reliable, even after my 9 year old niece spent 3 days playing with it!

It's not at all fussy about thread and I find it to be extremely easy to use. I would definitely buy it again if I needed to.

Backup machines...I did buy a Janome 3160QDC to be my portable and it's a sweet little machine too, but I've actually ended up using my vintage machines for classes and vacations the most. Not because the 3160 lacks anything, but just because I find it to be "fun" to sew on those old machines!
Old 06-18-2015, 07:33 AM

Bernina Aurora is perfect. I bought it used from a dealer, it was a floor model. I would buy this again in a second. In 10 years I have had it in the shop just once and that was because the thread was breaking after a needle had broke off (I think I scratched the throat plate). She cleaned it and said it was a lovely machine. It will not sew Coats and Clark thread, rather picky in that area, but everything else is fine. I still have back up machines because I love vintage machines. I am sewing on a 1950's Pfaff right now at my cottage and it's wonderful. I would buy a Pfaff in a second too.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:45 AM

I have two Bernina 200E machines - one is a recent purchase for a backup. While my original purchase (2004) of this machine when it was new set me back quite a bit, it has been worth the money. It now has over 12 million combined embroidery and sewing stitches on it and is still working well. With the current prices of the new machines out of my budgetary range, I will definitely switch to another brand.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Sorry, I am still sewing on my Bernina 1530. I am SHOCKED at the prices of newer DSM. Just not in my budget to upgrade.
I agree, I don't understand why DSM are so pricey.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
Pfaff Performance 5.0

If you had to do it over again - would you? No.

Has it been reliable? Absolutely NO.

Has it been picky about threads?
Hard to say. I did try several different threads, even Aurifil. I was told to use the same color thread in the bobbin as the color of the fabric on the back of my quilts to hide the poor straight stitch quality. I kid you not.

Have you had it in for repairs and/or adjustments more than a couple of times?
I bought it in early December. It went into the shop in February for the poor straight stitch. I got it back and had to take it in again the first week of March - where it stayed. I finally got a brand new replacement machine last week.

Would you still keep back-up machines?
I have several and 3 are Pfaffs. Made in Germany Pfaffs. I won't part with them, but would have no problem parting with the 5.0.

This purchase was a big deal for me. I have never bought something so expensive for myself and to have it be so disappointing kind of soured me on the machine. I am afraid to use it for fear something will go wrong with the new one.
Use it now while it's still under warranty. Work it to see if there are other problems. Then you will feel good about using it once the warranty is gone. There are lemon machines. I bought a TOL Bernina about 12 years ago...it needed a new mother board in no time. Then after 24 hours of use it needed another mother board. I just switched to a Janome and and haven't had much time to use it yet but I have a manual Janome that I use as back up and like it a lot.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:44 PM

I bought a TOL Bernina 180 back around 2000. I have always loved that machine. It still does great on everything. I also bought a Brother 1500, which is a straight stitch only machine before the Bernina. I mostly piece and tried to learn FMQ on the Brother. I had never bought a Janome, but bought one in 2013. I got the Janome 8900. That is an awesome machine! It is a nice heavy machine with MANY extra feet that come with it. It has a wide 11 inch harp space. I bought it to quilt larger quilts since it has the wide harp. I tried to FMQ on it and, WOW, my stitches looked great from the very first moment! I was amazed because I had been trying to FMQ for quite a while. I thought the price was very reasonable too. So, yes, I would do it again. None of my machines have been picky with threads. I do have a featherweight as a back up or travel machine.