Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Uploading a video  About my treadle setup. >

Uploading a video About my treadle setup.

Uploading a video About my treadle setup.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:41 PM

Rust!, it must be the secret, this is an old beat up treadle and I never restored it, took it apart and lubed and adjusted all the bearing points, and it has just worked. About once every 6 months I wash my belt with a green "scrubby pad" and dish soak in the sink...maybe that will help.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Freaky_Quilts_Dragon View Post
....My slippage is on the cabinet's flywheel though, and I haven't found rubber bands that big yet
You might look into the self-bonding “repair tape” that is on the market now. I have a roll or two of the bright orange tape (maybe they have other less “bright” colors) and it bonds to itself when you stretch it on top of another layer of it. It’s for temporary repairs to low pressure leaks. It’s about 3/4” wide, and maybe could be applied to a flywheel while stretching it to narrow it down a little and get it to nestle down into the flywheel groove, and then use a razor blade to slide along the outer edge of the flywheel to trim off the excess? I haven’t tried it, but am wondering if it could be a slippage solution....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-10-2015, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
You might look into the self-bonding “repair tape” that is on the market now. I have a roll or two of the bright orange tape (maybe they have other less “bright” colors) and it bonds to itself when you stretch it on top of another layer of it. It’s for temporary repairs to low pressure leaks. It’s about 3/4” wide, and maybe could be applied to a flywheel while stretching it to narrow it down a little and get it to nestle down into the flywheel groove, and then use a razor blade to slide along the outer edge of the flywheel to trim off the excess? I haven’t tried it, but am wondering if it could be a slippage solution.... CD in Oklahoma
That's an interesting idea, I'll keep it in mind. The slippage is only an issue when I'm using my Davis New Vertical Feed. She was chock-full-o-rust when I got her and while she sews great since I cleaned cleaned her up, she will never be quite as smooth as a non-rusted one. My Two Spools is in much better shape and runs soooo easily. No slippage. Also, my Two Spool's hand wheel is a tiny bit higher up and since I don't want to have multiple belts if I can help it the tension is tighter, so that might have something to do with it too.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:50 PM

The video was interesting! Thanks for sharing it. We're looking over the machines we found in my MIL's shed after she passed. There's a 306W in there, and the wires were rotting off. If the motor's not good, it's nice to know that we could put it in the cabinet without it. The motor ran the treadle on this machine. I thought that was strange, but I'm new to this. I was wondering, though. Why not use the leather belts? They're cheap enough - 3 or 4 dollars, right? Do they not last? or is there another reason?

Thanks,

Marcy