Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
scrap flannel fabric.. what to do? >

scrap flannel fabric.. what to do?

scrap flannel fabric.. what to do?

Old 01-13-2016, 03:43 PM

I had a huge amount of flannel scraps after making a multitude of receiving blankets for DD and then for her friends. I made a 'row by row' scrappy quilt. There were many scrappy designs I wanted to try, so I decided to incorporate 8 (I think--it might have been more) designs into one top. I had a fabulous time and the top turned out really nice. I backed it with flannel and did not put any batting in--just the two layers. The DGD's use it as a spring/fall blanket when they visit Nana's house.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:30 PM

You could make some fabric alphabet letters out of them or burp cloths. I make burp cloths for new babies using a regular cloth diaper. I sew a piece of flannel one one side of the diaper (pillow case style), turn it & then sew on the diaper stitching lines in the middle of the diaper to hold down the flannel & then a small 1/4" stitch all around the diaper. I get more compliments from these & the moms just love them & always want more. You only need a piece of flannel about 14" x 20" to cover the diaper. Here's a pic of some I've made in the past. I've included some alphabet letters & numbers that I've made also. I backed the letters & numbers with flannel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Brup Cloths 002.JPG
Views:	634
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	540106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fabric Alphabets.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	889.1 KB
ID:	540107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fabric Numbers.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	753.0 KB
ID:	540108  
Old 01-14-2016, 11:44 AM

Oh Wow, Thanks for all your suggestions, some I have not hear of before but will look them up on the internet, I don't know what a coin quilt is or a row by row quilt, but they do some interesting.

I already send quilts for babies, to the NICU as my daughter is a nurse there and is always looking for baby quilts, each baby that comes into the unit gets a quilt and they use them while they are in the unit to cover the isolate so the light isn't so bright on the baby, then they get to take them home.. I also crochet little hats for them.. It is fun and seeing everyone in my family has so many of my quilt and don't want any more for a while, making and giving them to the hospital is fun and it keeps me quilting.. Thanks again for your help..
Old 01-18-2016, 04:47 PM

Prints and color don't really matter in a scrappy. You just need to have some values of each in there.