Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Notion collections. >

Notion collections.

Notion collections.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:10 AM

I love gadgets and rulers also. My father and I used to spend hours in a hardware store looking at all of the tools and gadgets and he had his very organized. I have so many gadgets, that unless I save the instructions with them, I forget how to use them and what am I supposed to do with them. I am organizing my sewing area and I found so many different feet and attachments for my sewing machine and I will have to study them to figure out what they are for.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:20 AM

My husband is a woodworker so he has all sorts of gadgets too. I have a good supply of notions and rulers, but not too excessive. But books and printed patterns are another story. I just cleaned out my sewing room in prep for new flooring..........yippee..................but moved the bookcases (2) into the Master. It was like Christmas going through the books to dust. Many I had forgotten I had, not to mention the 10 large notebooks of patterns that were reorganized by category. Only one bookcase was paper, the other was fabric that was moved into the guest room closet with the rest of the unclaimed fabric LOL Made me realize I better live to be 150 and start sewing a lot faster!
Old 02-04-2016, 07:02 AM

I've had to start listing my books on an Excel spreadsheet. I still have some duplicates, but not many. As crazy as it seems, I also alphabetize my books. I'm quite OCD!!! Too bad it won't work on my fabrics, too.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:12 AM

Hand raised here as well. When I go to WalMart I don't head to the fabric, I head to the notions and do that in every fabric store I encounter.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:33 AM

Oh Ladies!
I so glad I'm not the only one! I LOVE gadgets (of course many aren't even tried yet), and I have four 5" binders full of guilt patterns I've downloaded. Also I have 2 closets full of fabric, although my NYresolution is to use it up this year, and so far I'm got 3 charity quilts done.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:13 AM

I have been a collector for years and am now retired and so glad to have all the things I have now. Not only have the prices gone up, but I am able to do so many things and not run out to get something to finish a project.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:37 AM

My DH and I are both pretty much shopaholics. Recently we had wood flooring installed throughout our house. What an ordeal!!! As we emptied closets, we looked at each other and said, "What were we thinking???!!!" So we are in purge mode now and it feels good. I am not really parting with my quilting stuff though. This experience has had the added benefit of making me NOT want to shop because then I have to PUT IT SOMEWHERE, and I don't want to create clutter. Is this a good thing?
Old 02-04-2016, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

I would have to say that after fabric, I have a HUGE collection of blocks, patterns, craft patterns, etc., etc., as well as older quilt magazines. I will occasionally purge my magazines and then pass them on to my quilter girl friend. She may have the right idea, as if she sees a quilt pattern she likes, she tears it out of the magazine and puts it in a plastic protector sheet; then she either passes the magazine on or uses it for art class in her Kindergarten class. I seriously need to purge those printed patterns, ideas, etc. to make room in my sewing area.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:50 PM

I like gadgets, too. I have been cutting back on the fabric, patterns, and books, but still buying gadgets.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:40 PM

it's a disease girls, one that has NO cure,