Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Quilting Board's First Scrap Club >

Quilting Board's First Scrap Club

Quilting Board's First Scrap Club

Old 03-27-2016, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rwquilts View Post
A couple of years ago, I gave my scraps away on the Board here...I haven't accumulated very many since then...I am glad for those who got some of the scraps, but wish maybe I'd have held onto just a few? Ha ha ha! The pictures are inspiring! I will keep track of this thread...nice to see you again Rhonda!
Thanks Ronda I have been around just not posting much more than hosting my Wall hanging swap.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:47 AM

this thread is taking off. I want to read back as well.
You did hit my problem area pictures. I have a cheapy camera and I wobble so my pictures are pretty nigh useless.

I'll do what I can. basically it is working with a foundation then putting your piece that will go under all the other edges down and then finger crease the next piece 1/4 inch and baste it to the underlying piece and the foundation. once everything is basted I'll go back and for the scrappy top stitch.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:50 PM

I'm working on my daughter's quilt which is a queen-sized medallion with a lot of stars! No, it is not scrappy, but I always have my eye on scrappy projects. There are several I need to make, & I'm at the quilting stage of the quilt, so I really do have to find another quilt to sew!

My scraps get thrown in together in a plastic shopping bag, the kind you get at the grocery store. Actually, not long ago I was looking for the scraps & thought I found the bag. It turned out there were many bags! So I am trying to sort through them. I have many cut into 2-1/2" squares, as well as 3", 3-1/2", 4", & 5". And I hosted a swap of 6" squares at a quilt guild I used to belong to ... it started out as a Christmas swap but ended up as a monthly swap for 2 years running. So, no real organization here!
Old 03-27-2016, 02:02 PM

Default Lodge pole pine scrappy

I thought I would look at this thread again and see what is happening. I have been busy sewing my UFO's lately. I got a mid arm quilting machine and have been learning all the fun automatic quilt patterns. I would like to share my way of storing scraps. I save the zippered clear bags that sheets come in. I store my scraps in those by color. It works great! I just keep them on my shelf. I got into them this weekend, because a friend and I are swapping little lodge pole pine tree blocks in fall colors for a wall hanging. I just love the pattern and it is perfect for using up scraps. I made myself a throw size with green trees out of my scraps, and I just love it. Maybe others would be interested in swapping these cute trees blocks. They are 6 1/2"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fall trees.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	546204   Click image for larger version

Name:	lodge pole pine.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	546205  
Old 03-27-2016, 03:07 PM

Love the lodge pole pine blocks!!! Will have to look up the pattern.
I have cut most my scraps into Bonnie Hunter Scrap User system and have sorted just by size not seprated by color on clear larger bins. But my Civil War scraps and most of my batiks just put into 2 seperate large plastic ziploc bags. I love scrappy quilts even though I have plenty of yardage to choose from.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:09 PM

I also cut my scraps into squares, from 1 1/2" to 6" .
Old 03-27-2016, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by javin22 View Post
... I save the zippered clear bags that sheets come in. I store my scraps in those by color. It works great!...
Such a great use for those terrific zippered clear bags that sheets come in. Thank you. I just can't bear to throw those away and you have given me the perfect way to make good use of them.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:08 PM

I have tons of scraps, and just need some ideas to start putting them to use. Please post your scrappy quilts. Especially looking for something fun, quick, and random. I make a lot of charity quilts and this would be a great opportunity.

Also, I'd love to participate in some swaps -- blocks or scraps themselves.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:42 PM

javin -- I love your scrappy trees. What fun that would be!
Old 03-27-2016, 06:17 PM

ctyankee, I had to laugh at your comment of looking for one bag of scraps, but finding MANY. Sounds just like me!

I'm glad to see this thread getting active. I'd love to be able to make time for a bit of scrap piecing this week.