Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best fabric scissors? >

Best fabric scissors?

Best fabric scissors?

Old 04-08-2016, 01:32 AM

I bought my scissors many years ago and they are Fiskars. They are convertible to use and they do stay sharp
Old 04-08-2016, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Gale, it's not a QB feature. I assume you're using Google Chrome or IE. It doesn't show up for me in Firefox, but it does in Chrome. It's for that reason I use Firefox as my browser & DuckDuckGo as my search engine -- to cut down on all the tracking and data collection that goes on so many places online these days. It was creeping me out when my iPhone would send me an instant coupon as I walked past certain stores, or my browser would hyperlink to merchants in the middle of an otherwise decent little article.
I'm using Firefox w/adblocker and still get the clickable links. This started a bit ago here for me. Don't have that situation with other sites I visit via Firefox.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:21 AM

I have a pair of Singer scissors with a very fine serrated edge that I've had for decades. Have never needed sharpening and are awesome. You can not tell the fabric edges are 'pinked' when cut but they do cut down on the raveling when cutting some fabrics.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:32 AM

My Ginghers 8" sheers are from the 1950's and have never needed to be sharpened. I do have smaller Mundals(sp?) that I use for cutting Steam A Seam for applique because of the paper backing.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:32 AM

I have had a pair of Kai scissors for ages. I love my scissors and everyone knows that the black handle scissors are off limits
Old 04-08-2016, 04:48 AM

My mother-in-law gave me a pair of Gingher dressmaker sheers for Christmas 30 years ago. I still use them and love them. JoAnn's carries them.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jcarpentier View Post
Hello,

I am looking for some fabric scissors and am wondering the best ones to get that are not too pricey. Thanks!
Karen Kay Buckley by far. Gingers are too heavy.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:52 AM

I have used Gingher, Wiss, Fiskars and Kai and Kai is the best. I cut a lot of fleece and those scissors are like a hot knife slicing through butter and melting it as you go. You can buy them on ebay for under $20 or use a guy called The Scissorman and buy them from him. Buy what you are comfortable with and using, but scissors are an investment, and will last, last and possibly outlive you.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Same here! I've had a few pair of Fiskars, I'm good as long as I don't drop them but always end up replacing with another pair of Fiskars. I bought pair of Gingkers and traded a friend for some work. All depends on preference and how they feel in your hands.
Originally Posted by mic-pa View Post
your going to get a lot of different answers because eveyone likes theirs the best. I have a pr. of Fiskars I have had for at least 20 yrs and they are still sharp and cut well. Of coarse I threatend my family with their lives if they used them for anything else LOLOL
Old 04-08-2016, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

I have scissors in every room and they stay in that room. I have a tool box and scissors in that tool box stay there. Dh has scissors in his shed for his shed. That's how we keep them from traveling.
Originally Posted by Jcarpentier View Post
Thanks! I will probably threaten my family too! Will have to write 'fabric only' on them!