Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with circles >

Need help with circles

Need help with circles

Old 04-12-2016, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

One more thing to do when piecing in a circle is to slow down your sewing speed and adjust your stitch length to be shorter. You will get a smoother line.
peace
Old 04-12-2016, 07:10 PM

This is the method I use. http://www.risingstarquilters.org/ha...rcle_final.pdf If the link doesn't work Google inset circles by machine. It is Dale FLynns method I have used it many times and given several demo's on it. Works really well.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:11 PM
Power Poster

There are a few different methods to add circles.
1. Applique with iron-on interfacing. I use soft-fuse interfacing on the fabric and cut out the circle. Iron on the circle, using the instructions for the interfacing. Then I use the blanket stitch to secure the applique. I generally don't use stabilizer but I make sure that the outside stitch doesn't distort the applique.
2. Inset circle. I cut the circle out of fabric and pin-mark it on the 6-9-12-3 positions. Then I cut the hole in the top 1" larger than the circle, also pin-marking the same positions. I align the pin markings and sew the circle into the hole.
3. Cut the circle 1/2" larger than the finished size. Cut a piece of sulky or other interfacing to the same size. Sew the two pieces together with a 1/4" seam allowance right sides together, leaving an opening. Turn the circle right side out and sew it down on the top fabric. I generally use a fancy stitch to sew it down.
Just have some fun and see which method works best for you.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:52 PM

Why does it take one simple video to give me that "well duh" feeling?? I have also struggled with this and the video just turned that proverbial light bulb on for me!! (I must admit I watched it more than once!) Thanks for the info!!