Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Just let me get my magic wand..." >

"Just let me get my magic wand..."

"Just let me get my magic wand..."

Old 05-07-2016, 06:14 AM

My neighbor knows I just become a first time grandma of NICU twin babies, but asked me if I could make a t-shirt quilt for her granddaughter. I mentioned I am making all the nursery items...sheets, crib skirts, bumper pads, quilts and she said there was no hurry. I should tell her I can do it when the girls are in 1st grade!!!!
Old 05-07-2016, 06:29 AM

I gift most of my quilts, sew for the hospital and make charity quilts for the church..................BUT I don't take orders. I would rather decide who, what and where and donate my time and money, than sew for others with their time schedule & choice of pattern & try and please them. I do it for fun!
Old 05-07-2016, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by zennia View Post
I have two magic wand stories
My husband came home from work on a Fri. night and announced he needed a baby quilt for a co worker mon. morning Sure, just whip it up in a week-end
I made a quilt for each of my new step children fro Christmas and to make them feel a part of the family. When they opened them their mom asked "what are we suppose to do with these"? Very disappointing to me. I thought I did a good thing.

You didn't just do a good thing Zennia. You did a wonderful thing! What a rude woman! I can't help but wonder at the values she's instilling in those children. I pity those children, but at least with your family in their lives we'll hope and pray that your grace will influence them.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:19 AM

I'm loving this thread too. My mother had no idea what it took to make a quilt. The time, fabric cost, etc. Now she does so never asks me to make one as a gift for one of her friends. She does have one of her own though 1st quilt off my new Innova system when I got it back in 2012.

A young couple heard I made quilts and the hubby wanted to make one so I told him I would teach him, even supple the fabrics for his 1st one (possibly his only one). I made him go thru the entire process of picking out a quilt pattern, the fabrics from my stash, starching them and pressing them all 1st. Then I gave him the rules on the rotary cutter, sewing machine, etc. He had to do all of it himself. He's a bit slow but meticious so I'm happy he will finish it. He chose the snail trail pattern, not a beginner pattern by far. Then his wife picked out the quilt pattern and fabrics she wanted for the quilt I'd make them. I'm making quilts for everyone in my small congregation so this didn't bother me. It takes a lot of the pain of deciding what to make them out of my hands. BUT....................................I told them that their quilt would only be made if hubby got his quilt made 1st by the end of this year. Otherwise I would enlarge the quilt to queen size and finish it for them and this would be their quilt from me. Nothing like a threat to make sure it gets finished
Old 05-07-2016, 07:29 AM

Someone my husband and I know was getting married and my husband asked me if I could "just whip up a quilt" to give them - he didn't want to spend money on a present. I just smiled and said "two things - first - you don't just 'whip up a quilt' and secondly, I didn't like them that much." We bought a gift.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:49 AM

A female co-worker said "Where's my quilt?" We do not get a long. Then she asked if I could make her one. I said that if she wanted to pay for the fabric, I'd show her how to make one. I then estimated how much one would be. I never heard from her again on the subject.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

Just because we enjoy quilting I get asked often " can you sew up a couple pairs of jeans for me. They just came undone a little. " When you see the jeans they are ripped out next to the seam. Sewing the seam is had enough on jeans. a tear next to it is worse. Or will you fix my grandmas old quilt? The quilt is thin bare and half gone. Where's my wand?
Old 05-07-2016, 08:12 AM

I was asked to repair a quilt after the dog had chewed thru the middle of it. It was a huge hole. They wanted the same fabrics so it would 'look like new'. I said no and suggested they cut off a corner of it and frame it as a memory quilt. They didn't ask anything again.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

My sister-in-law bought a pink fluffy dress for a Halloween party - it was maybe a size 6 and she is maybe a size 16 - she thought I could just "make it a little bigger"
Old 05-07-2016, 08:41 AM

I had an old boy friend ask why I did not make a quilt for his 1st grandson. I just wondered what his wife would have said if I had actually made one.